Currently reading:
Capping installation methods

Discuss Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I know it's the basic of questions but I'm starting to question how I install capping.

I do much work with it as most work that involes domestic work is usually just for friends or family.

However, Everytime I do it I always think there must be an easier way. I've tried mortar nails through the capping and in the mortar, screws through the capping into plugs and screws just to the side into plugs. All seem to have benefits and negatives.

Any other methods?

Out of curiosity 123, do you run tw&e down those conduits?
PVC/PVC yes, could be twin and earth, Single Brown or Blue, Blue or Brown & Earth, 3 Core and earth. All available on the shelf at any wholesalers, but good luck finding anywhere with 1.0mm T&E.

Dot and Dab is also next to never seen on brick walls in new builds, it's all floated out with sand and cement.

Oh okay. Was just thinking of getting a few cables down a 20mm, suppose you go up to 25mm etc. Apart from the obvious protection from DIY'ers putting up their shelves on a Sunday, why do you do it? Must put the price up.

PS we don't have brick walls over her', block work mostly and the inevitable timber frames.

Oh okay. Was just thinking of getting a few cables down a 20mm, suppose you go up to 25mm etc. Apart from the obvious protection from DIY'ers putting up their shelves on a Sunday, why do you do it? Must put the price up.

PS we don't have brick walls over her', block work mostly and the inevitable timber frames.
We have plenty of timber framed builds as well, conduit not used for that.

If needed we add a 2nd 20mm conduit.

If it's a new build I'd bring in a company to track the walls. If it's a revamp or a kitchen etc it's most likely conduits will already be there, so can often be reused. If it's a kitchen install putting a socket in the adjoining unit is frowned upon (generally), either isolators above worktop or all isolators into a larder unit.

For a small amount of water, theirs quite a difference in how we do things and in Northern Ireland we work to BS7671.

We have plenty of timber framed builds as well, conduit not used for that.

If needed we add a 2nd 20mm conduit.

If it's a new build I'd bring in a company to track the walls. If it's a revamp or a kitchen etc it's most likely conduits will already be there, so can often be reused. If it's a kitchen install putting a socket in the adjoining unit is frowned upon (generally), either isolators above worktop or all isolators into a larder unit.

For a small amount of water, theirs quite a difference in how we do things and in Northern Ireland we work to BS7671.

So why the conduit?

Not sure if this is relevant but I'm at the local club and I need 14 for a full house. Not sure if the regs cover this but appreciate any help guys. And galls sparkychops. Ta.

My memory is a bit hazy, but I'm sure metal conduit has been mentioned before.
Not sure where? PVC Light Gauge Conduit tracked into walls is generally what we use.

I'm not convinced myself, but hey hoe, who am I to say.

Must get slightly difficult at switch drops, with a few multi ganged switches?
Not really, a 3 gang switch could have as little as 1 Twin & Earth and 2 PVC/PVC Single Browns at it.

Ok I misconstrued you.

Still wouldn't faff around using plastic conduit in dwelling :)
And I wouldn't faff around filling the chases after a rewire, that's what a plasterer is for lol.

I don't see how it takes any longer - on a new build I'll have subbed in a wall tracking company to do the donkey work. The wall's are floated out then skimmed no dot and dab here really. On a rewire, refurb or kitchen etc, the wall's would need tracked wider for capping and there is no faffing in trying to get screws or nails in for conduit

Reply to Capping installation methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock