Search the forum,

Discuss core drill idea in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dim_bulb

I have a makita HR2470 an sds drill and want to know if i can use it for core drilling applications 4" core holes for extractor fans etc

whats the difference between a standard hammer drill and a diamond core hole drill?

at the moment i rent one for the day £25.00

cheers luke

I use my dewalt sds for core holes of that size and no problems yet.
Saying that, I believe the gearing of a dedicated core drill is made specifically for that purpose and so provides longer tool life.

ive seen two plumbers burn there makita sds drills out using them for 4 inch holes and once a customer tryed to use his bosch sds drill to put the hole in for a extractor fan and it buned out before it got to the cavity, yet i just use my makita sds drill i also havent had any problems yet

Agree with the above, I have an 18v Dewalt SDS, use it on drill only, and have no problem using a £50 102mm (107?) core drill. It usually takes 2 batteries to complete, but you need to take it steady, and slowly if possible. Dont use hammer action when using a core drill.
The cheap core bits from Toolstation are good, £50ish for a bit/arbour/extension.

Alan.

I know of a builder who burnt out his Makita 18v LiIon SDS Drill when drilling 102mm core drill for an extractor, didn't help that he was on hammer and full throttle......

Nice big red core drill for me:63:, I would just buy the core drill £25 a day adds up, the makita is 12 holes worth, better than destroying an SDS.

Reply to core drill idea in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back