Search the forum,

Discuss Do I extend the PME outside to a Log Cabin style building?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

where do these myths come from?? I know.....the people that make earth rods!!!!

Do it properly -make it a TT system
Run SUPPLY from the house distribution board to a new small distribution board in cabin with 2.5mm SWA
New, small distribution board in cabin will require a 30ma RCD for protection
Put a rod in the ground outside the cabin connecting to the dist' board with at least 16mm earth cable.
Put your feet up.

Tell me, ...Are you actually being serious here, you would honestly put in a TT system (and probably a p**s poor one) for this log cabin that's just 2 metres from the main house?? I suppose you would isolate and rod an outside socket outlet too!!!

Oh and please inform us all, exactly what a 16mm earth conductor is going to achieve for this TT system your proposing?? God help your PME customers is all i can say!!

I was waiting for E54 to reply to this one

Do it properly -make it a TT system
Run SUPPLY from the house distribution board to a new small distribution board in cabin with 2.5mm SWA
New, small distribution board in cabin will require a 30ma RCD for protection
Put a rod in the ground outside the cabin connecting to the dist' board with at least 16mm earth cable.
Put your feet up.

Good god

the mind boggles, and after further consideration, boggles again.

A while ago I was asked to connect and wire a shed, and then on to another outbuilding....shed was to be used as a workshop and the outbuilding as a welding shop. About a 60m run from the intake, and I exported the PME all the way. I just can't see the justification in trying to save a few pence per metre on 1 core in a cable, even when it's a big one.

They walk the same streets, breathe the same air, drink the same water; but worryingly seem to live in an entirely alternative dimension.

Hmmm.....let's make a guess as to where his training came from............

Do it properly

EM8005.jpg

Just have a look at the total number of posts of some contributors to this thread. Methinks a wind up!

Hmmm.....know where you're coming from but not entirely convinced.... after all, when you know your stuff, the wind-ups could be far more inventive and complicated.

Just have a look at the total number of posts of some contributors to this thread. Methinks a wind up!

I certainly hope so!! But methinks there are an awful lot sparks out there that have been brought up with this and other mythologies. Just too many scaremongers in this game, and they don't do those that are still learning the profession, any good at all. The perpetuation of these myths goes on to this day, by those that no know different....

bugger me.
i'm new on this forum but the export pme really does look like fun eh?
consider..... i wire up a shed, export pme.
next owner of said property (doesnt have pir as per recommendations) buys a hot tub...
where they gonna wire it in to? o look, theres a handy s/o in the shed.
swimming pools requires TT and/or dno notice. (i think)...
whats a hot tub?
a bubbly, small pointless place to fart... and drink beer.
great combo, beer, water and *******.

play safe. cover your self with TT that has nowt to do with what ever idiot got there before you.

o yeah, knocking earth spikes in? i dont miss when i chop out back boxes, why would you miss when knocking a big nail into soil?

sorry if this offends anyone but they **** about with clocks and i got to pat a garage tommorow.

what was the question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this for real, or am I dreaming?

bugger me.
i'm new on this forum but the export pme really does look like fun eh?
consider..... i wire up a shed, export pme.
next owner of said property (doesnt have pir as per recommendations) buys a hot tub...
where they gonna wire it in to? o look, theres a handy s/o in the shed.
swimming pools requires TT and/or dno notice. (i think)...
whats a hot tub?
a bubbly, small pointless place to fart... and drink beer.
great combo, beer, water and t**sers.

play safe. cover your self with TT that has nowt to do with what ever idiot got there before you.

o yeah, knocking earth spikes in? i dont miss when i chop out back boxes, why would you miss when knocking a big nail into soil?

sorry if this offends anyone but they f**k about with clocks and i got to pat a garage tommorow.

what was the question?

Perhaps you can explain your ''Play Safe'' theory to us?? Just how will totally relying on an RCD be playing safe would be a good starting point!!

You'll be extremely lucky to find any hot tub that can run off a 13A socket outlet, supplied by a TT system or a PME system..

Swimming pools, especially concrete pools should have it's reinforcement bonded back to the MET or EMT as will any s/steel pool ladders and any other other metal accessories.
Virtually all pools these days are constructed with PVC pipe work for skimmers, drains, and inlets.

I'll tell you this, having seen some of the p**s poor damp badly installed pool pump rooms, you wouldn't want to be relying on, any just as badly installed TT system!!

The only time i would rod a hot tub or spa tub, is if it was sitting on bare grass or soil. Oh and i've never yet seen a hot tub or spa that doesn't incorporate it's own RCD protected circuits.

Anyway, i'm waiting with interest on this Play Safe theory you have!!!

E54 - don't wake me when you get the answer, I'll catch it later when I need a decent laugh.

Well glad you asked.
I've disconnected 3 hut tubs this summer, all sat on grass( one on 1" of pea gravel) all with a bit of flex off a 13a plug.
they all got hot and bubbled and all made me shiver.
you never seen a 8kw cooker running off a 30a bs3036 rm?
'nah mate, never had a fuse blwn'

not talking about proper swim pools with earthed rebar concrete slabs et al, ladders??? diving boards???
talking about mid terrace houses with 60 year old wylex boards and people with 500 quid hot tubs.

also thinking i may have had enough of this game. gas CORGY.. GAS SAFE OOOOOOO.
electrics.... 'my mate can do that for you'

i may be ranting a bit here.

time for a new soap box.

Well glad you asked.
I've disconnected 3 hut tubs this summer, all sat on grass( one on 1" of pea gravel) all with a bit of flex off a 13a plug.
they all got hot and bubbled and all made me shiver.
you never seen a 8kw cooker running off a 30a bs3036 rm?
'nah mate, never had a fuse blwn'

not talking about proper swim pools with earthed rebar concrete slabs et al, ladders??? diving boards???
talking about mid terrace houses with 60 year old wylex boards and people with 500 quid hot tubs.

also thinking i may have had enough of this game. gas CORGY.. GAS SAFE OOOOOOO.
electrics.... 'my mate can do that for you'

i may be ranting a bit here.

time for a new soap box.

Seen cookers with a lot higher KW rating than 8KW on a 30A rewirable fuse!! And working quite safety within it's working boundaries too. You have never heard of cooker diversity factors then i'm guessing...

Haha, where are you going to buy a hot tub for 500 quid?? If you X10 that figure, you'll be somewhere in the general region of hot tub prices!!!

As for your question on what's wrong with relying on an RCD. On a TN system nothing, as you still have your ADS protection, ....Unlike a TT system, especially a UK TT system. No RCD, or Duff RCD and you'll have no earth fault protection.. And Yes, MCB's are by far and away more reliable than any form of domestic RCD device!!!

On TN systems, RCD protection is classed as ''Additional'' protection, Where on a TT system with a UK standard Ra of 200 ohms your RCD protection is basically your only protection against earth faults...

Still haven't had explanation of your TT system ''Play Safe'' theory yet??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Do I extend the PME outside to a Log Cabin style building?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock