Currently reading:
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

Beware plumbers!!!.jpg

About five years ago I suggested a rewire as much of the wiring is 50+ years old. Whoever replaced the board have actually made it worse.
Disgrace. How can such people masquerade as electricians?
Damage to the new board, too...carried through with the drill? and that cb, as well?
Was it not a level surface to begin with?
Levitation... or have the two outside conduits grown wings?

Can't quite picture the original board but I can't understand why the conduits don't line up because they cannot be moved.
Could there have been a thread converter on the end of one conduit to suit pre existing holes in the original consumer unit?

I remember when I started off in industry I used to see a lot of issues with bushings where the conduit is used as CPC

They'd be sparking sometimes when check EFLI at outlets
50 years in the trade and I've rarely come across anything like that. Since the Millennium, I can see it being much more of an issue. Hence westwood's photos.
Domestic standards aren't just creeping into industry, for sure.

Something being the neutral block of a MEM Exel? Hopefully it didn't let go completely with a 3-phase load on.

Something being the neutral block of a MEM Exel? Hopefully it didn't let go completely with a 3-phase load on.
Indeedy but no I don't believe the neutral was lost. Found it by chance just been back to change but must have been hot, new one fitted now.
20210809_100545.jpg

Indeedy but no I don't believe the neutral was lost. Found it by chance just been back to change but must have been hot, new one fitted now.View attachment 88504
At least you have not chewed the screw heads up on the new one like someone did with the original.

was asked to look at work carried out in a house was a housing association and tennant was concerned about a fan heater (IP2x) in the bathroom - that was fitted about 5mm outside zones —- anyway on way out looked at brand new consumer unit that had been fitted next to the door….

Attachments

• DBCD8B75-E548-4012-9FF6-2276E311FA87.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 97
  • 7C94CA72-3985-4C96-834F-B9A111C309B7.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
surveyed to fit a new CU replace an old rewirable- took lid off to survey - might write in other threads about reasons to remove DNO fuse….needless to say a nice new board now fitted and new tails
Also good example of need for metal enclosed box, the terminals and bakealite fell apart when I touched it they were lucky only matter time for a fire to happen

was asked to look at work carried out in a house was a housing association and tennant was concerned about a fan heater (IP2x) in the bathroom - that was fitted about 5mm outside zones —- anyway on way out looked at brand new consumer unit that had been fitted next to the door….
Is that an Niceic installer cert that I spy ?

Is that an Niceic installer cert that I spy ?
Hi yeah though think that is the previous box - however I do know who did fit and they are allegedly niciec didn’t even have sense to remove - they also didn’t put any new labels on the new box rcd / cable colour warning or inspection.. in a way glad a tennant is so concerned to call a local independent electrician will stick up pic of the bathroom standard fan heater is within regs but I wouldn’t do it and there was plenty room on wall to fit a towel radiator - housing association doing on cheap

surveyed to fit a new CU replace an old rewirable- took lid off to survey - might write in other threads about reasons to remove DNO fuse….needless to say a nice new board now fitted and new tails
Any theories on why the intake terminal connections have overheated? Did the client mention anything untoward beforehand? We are all interested in the history behind failure. Gradual increase in domestic load perhaps over the years which has stressed these connections?

Also good example of need for metal enclosed box, the terminals and bakealite fell apart when I touched it they were lucky only matter time for a fire to happen
Any theories on why the intake terminal connections have overheated? Did the client mention anything untoward beforehand? We are all interested in the history behind failure. Gradual increase in domestic load perhaps over the years which has stressed these connections?
No reports of any issues, fuse holders were ok, looks to me years of gradual loading and overheating and Probably loose connections. Interesting probably less load in recent years with Changes in technology and they had gas hob changed years ago from electric. at Present apart from usual stuff for a house led telly / boxes / chargers, electric oven, electric shower, there isn’t that much that would use so didn’t see any issues with demand. Only other clue there was a redundant second fuse box was for electric storage heating that was ripped put years ago but it would’ve been through white meter at the time

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock