Currently reading:
UK EV Charger Earth Rod

Discuss EV Charger Earth Rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have completed the 2919 course and was told during this that all chargers would require a TT connection, whether solely for the charger or as part of the full installation. Since completing the course a while ago now, I have discussed with some electricians who say they don't install an earth rod when the property is TN-C-S. What is the general view on this?
Also, the instructions for a Tesla charger says it is constantly monitoring for earth faults and over current, switching the charger off and on accordingly, does this mitigate the requirement for an earth rod? Because it is looking out for a lost neutral with a PME system? My argument is the charger could get confused thinking a main bonding conductor was the new supply to earth but we wouldn't deem this OK.

I will always install to what I believe is correct within the BS and the course I completed, but it gets confusing when you hear differing opinions within the trade. I look forward to hearing your views and welcome any suggested previous posts.

I hope everyone coping as well as they can be during the Covid-19 out break and my thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones and those who are struggling financially. Stay safe.

Earth rod bolt shearing is very common when they are overtightened. I've done it myself a few times when I was learning but soon learned that brass bolts don't need anywhere near the same torque as steel

Reply to EV Charger Earth Rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock