Currently reading:
Fuse size?

Discuss Fuse size? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

In your particular boiler no, you're probably right, however some of the cheaper boilers come with only the 3A fuse in the plug to protect them. As do most appliances.If fuses weren't meant to protect appliances as well as the cable, then every appliance utilising flex with a csa of 1mm or over would automatically come with 13A fuses?? But they don't do they? In fact, if I'm not mistaken, most boilers are fed with 1mm flex so surely a 13A fuse would be ok as it protects the cable feeding it??Somehow I think the legal requirement to protect boilers with 3A fuses has got more to do with protecting the boiler than the cable.

It may be of interest that The Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:3rd Ed, Table 15.6 lists 1.25mm[SUP]2[/SUP] as the minimum CSA for an appliance cord or flex protected by a 13A BS1362 fuse and 0.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP] minimum for a cord or flex protected by a similar 3A fuse.

Comparing data for a 6A BS 60898 Type B MCB or BS 61009 RCBO from BS7671:2008+A1:2011 Fig 3A4 with a 3A BS1362 Fuse from the Bussman catalogue datasheet:
6A MCB requires a prospective overload current of 30A to trip in the conventional time.
3A Fuse requires a prospective overload current of between 12 and 18A in the conventional time.
[FONT=&amp]Therefore discrimination is likely to be achieved in this case.[/FONT]

In your particular boiler no, you're probably right, however some of the cheaper boilers come with only the 3A fuse in the plug to protect them. As do most appliances.If fuses weren't meant to protect appliances as well as the cable, then every appliance utilising flex with a csa of 1mm or over would automatically come with 13A fuses?? But they don't do they? In fact, if I'm not mistaken, most boilers are fed with 1mm flex so surely a 13A fuse would be ok as it protects the cable feeding it??Somehow I think the legal requirement to protect boilers with 3A fuses has got more to do with protecting the boiler than the cable.

"Some of the cheaper boilers come with only the 3A fuse in the plug to protect them" ??
I find this hard to believe, and if so, the manufacturer of that boiler would surely be negligent in their protection of the boiler components, PCB in particular.

It may be of interest that The Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment:3rd Ed, Table 15.6 lists 1.25mm[SUP]2[/SUP] as the minimum CSA for an appliance cord or flex protected by a 13A BS1362 fuse and 0.5mm[SUP]2[/SUP] minimum for a cord or flex protected by a similar 3A fuse.

Very true, it also says it in the regs. Oh well 1mm/1.25mm, both the same thing really :D

"Some of the cheaper boilers come with only the 3A fuse in the plug to protect them" ??
I find this hard to believe, and if so, the manufacturer of that boiler would surely be negligent in their protection of the boiler components, PCB in particular.

Not if the PCB is built to handle 3A. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I've seen PCBs fried because the boiler was protected by a 13A fuse instead of a 3A fuse.

Irrespective of what a manufacturer states on the appliance or boiler or what have you, the 1362 fuse in a plug-top or FCU is there purely to protect the flexible lead/cable and NOT the appliance itself. As i have stated earlier any protection to the appliance by a 1362 fuse rating, is purely coincidental.... Any appliance protection requirements are down to the manufactures themselves. Obviously it is down to the end user to fit an appropriate sized 1362 fuse to the plug-top or FCU...

Not if the PCB is built to handle 3A. Like I said in my first post in this thread, I've seen PCBs fried because the boiler was protected by a 13A fuse instead of a 3A fuse.

PCB,s are not built to be protected by a CIRCUIT fuse of 3A or any other size. Leave that to their designers to protect it. A short circuit in a PCB will "fry it" normally anyway whatever the protection. I have also seen PCB,s fried, and with lower than 3A protective devices.

So if boilers are to have their own protection fitted internally by the manufacturer, why is it that the last boiler I took apart had no fuse apart from the 3A in the plug it came with? I'm not doubting what any of you are saying, but I find it hard to understand how the componets would be protected if you say they are not built to handle 3A and yet the only protection they have is 3A?

I find it hard to understand how the componets would be protected if you say they are not built to handle 3A and yet the only protection they have is 3A?

That question is best asked to the boiler manufacturer, rather than to the forum.... It'll be interesting to see what they have say too!! ...lol!!

So if boilers are to have their own protection fitted internally by the manufacturer, why is it that the last boiler I took apart had no fuse apart from the 3A in the plug it came with? I'm not doubting what any of you are saying, but I find it hard to understand how the componets would be protected if you say they are not built to handle 3A and yet the only protection they have is 3A?

You make a pertinent point regarding protection, (or lack of protection in some cases) of boiler PCB,s. The 3A fuse that is required in the FCU or plug top, in my opinion, WILL protect boiler components, if there is no manufacturer,s protective device, but probably not the PCB. I don,t understand why a boiler manufacturer would not include a say, 100mA fuse to help protect the PCB(would cost them little) Could it be that they make a lot of money from replacement PCB,s Gosh, shouldn,t be thinking that.

That question is best asked to the boiler manufacturer, rather than to the forum.... It'll be interesting to see what they have say too!! ...lol!!

Haha, I'd love to, but I do have a life. Last thing on my mind of an evening is getting into an over the phone debate with a boiler manufacturer! :D

Reply to Fuse size? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock