Currently reading:
Help: Wiring up emergency lighting

Discuss Help: Wiring up emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to wire up emergency lighting, for some reason, this doesn't turn on at all, even when power is isolated it does not come on, so ive added pictures to see if wiring and everything is correct, tested to ensure there was power coming in when CB was on, and that there was none when it was off, any help appreciated, thanks.

Image.jpg

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

It's a greenlee multimeter, CB was on, tested getting 240v roughly, turned CB off, hoping light would be on, no light or battery light, and 0v tested

Why are you using a multimeter? Why not give yourself a chance and use a tester which can rule out phantom voltages?

Why are you working on this light in the first place? Is the battery charged?

It's a greenlee multimeter, CB was on, tested getting 240v roughly, turned CB off, hoping light would be on, no light or battery light, and 0v tested
Sorry to harp on Liam, just to get my mind straight, you are getting 240v from N to L and 240v from N to SL, as I say sorry to repeat but I wasn't sure from your reply earlier, the reason for asking, is lots of people think they have a link connected only to find the link isn't making contact, ie a bad termination.

Sorry to harp on Liam, just to get my mind straight, you are getting 240v from N to L and 240v from N to SL, as I say sorry to repeat but I wasn't sure from your reply earlier, the reason for asking, is lots of people think they have a link connected only to find the link isn't making contact, ie a bad termination.
it is not a plug and play .
No body said it was Buzz just asking if the connections are good, blimey.

No body said it was Buzz just asking if the connections are good, blimey.

sorry, 2.5v roughly from N to L and N to SL, 240v from earth to L and earth to SL

Surely getting him to test the cable is good advice? It seems like a suspect neutral and there may be a break or a bad jb in the supply cable.
Why do you think these tests are not a good idea?

Surely getting him to test the cable is good advice? It seems like a suspect neutral and there may be a break or a bad jb in the supply cable.
Why do you think these tests are not a good idea?
I don't think they are not a good idea, of course they are, he has been fooking with this problem for long enough, get it working , then test the installation, it's what you would do, isn't it? and don't give any male bovine carp.

I don't think they are not a good idea, of course they are, he has been fooking with this problem for long enough, get it working , then test the installation, it's what you would do, isn't it? and don't give any male bovine carp.

How's he going to get it working if he can't find where the neutral fault is? (Assuming it is a neutral fault of course). If we can guide him through some sensible tests it will help his future fault-finding methods.

How's he going to get it working if he can't find where the neutral fault is? (Assuming it is a neutral fault of course). If we can guide him through some sensible tests it will help his future fault-finding methods.
It's more than likely a bad connection at either the CU, or the light fitting.

Two things:The battery shows a date of 2011 so six years old, maybe defunct. The other is you have no neutral at all. Where the hell is it. The brown and black are the perm. L and Sw/L you are missing the neutral. There should be brown and blue not brown and black for L and N as they are the harmonised colours so something is wrong there. Should be a three core brown/blue/black I guess maybe probably?

It's more than likely a bad connection at either the CU, or the light fitting.
Liam, as an Apprentice do you have an MFT to carry out the tests mentioned in the posts earlier? it looks from your previous answer's that you don't, apologies if I am mistaken, to be politically correct perhaps I should say, if you don't and as you admit you are an Apprentice, why are you messing with something you shouldn't be? this may sound a bit hurtful, it's not meant to be, the other posters are correct, these tests are relevant, but you have asked the question, and you seem to have enough sense to realise what you are doing, sort the problem out, do the safe isolation procedure and the carry out the tests prescribed, I'm out.

Two things:The battery shows a date of 2011 so six years old, maybe defunct. The other is you have no neutral at all. Where the hell is it. The brown and black are the perm. L and Sw/L you are missing the neutral. There should be brown and blue not brown and black for L and N as they are the harmonised colours so something is wrong there. Should be a three core brown/blue/black I guess maybe probably?

Eh? There's a red and black FP type cable in the picture.

Reply to Help: Wiring up emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back