Currently reading:
Immersion Heater timer problem

Discuss Immersion Heater timer problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Badvocthebad

Hi there, newbie here so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

We've just moved in to a rental flat which is on an economy 10 meter. Off peak hours are 12-5am 1-4pm and 8-10pm. Obviously to avoid having to get up and switch the immersion off at 5 so I've got hot water for a bath in the morning, I'd like it to work on the timer that is on the system. This is where I seem to have a problem. There is a switch which is wired to the timer and then the immersion element. When the switch is on the timer works but the element is heating water too, whatever I seem to set the timer to do. When the switch is off so is the element, but the timer doesn't tick round either. There is another switch which has always been on since we moved in, which doesn't seem to affect anything at all, at least anything visible or audible. Am I missing something obvious or do I need to get the landlord to get someone to have a look at it. The timer is an old Greenbrook one and from what I can tell of their instructions for their more recent but similar style of timer, you set it so the little pegs are pulled out from the centre for the period that you want it to be on, which seems to go counter to what I've experienced with timers on appliances or plug in ones for example.

Once again, apologies if this is the wrong place, but I'm a bit stumped

Cheers

BDVB

Welcome to the forum.

If as Murdoch says there are two elements then that tank may look something like this (although this one has no timer)
twin element water tank.jpg
In this picture it is obvious where the cables go, the lower element to the left hand switch and the upper element to the right hand switch.
The usual arrangement is to have the upper element off at all times (this one is only for when you occasionally run out of water during the day and can be switched on for half an hour to get a small amount of hot water).
The lower one is the one that should be connected to the timer (there are also twin element timers but I will not cover that).
The switch that powers the timer should be always on (so the timer operates).
The timer should be set to come on for the E10 times (as you say for the Greenbrook: pins out for on), the timer will have a small switch that is the selector for function like this
timer switching.jpg that should be set to the clock face so the programmed times run.

If all your set up is like this and then at say 1pm when the timer clicks on there is no sound of "hissing" starting from the tank as the element starts up, or if there is hissing from the tank at non E10 times then there may be a fault with the timer not switching off.

Reply to Immersion Heater timer problem in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock