Currently reading:
Inspection Job & Diversity HELP Please

Discuss Inspection Job & Diversity HELP Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Newboy2013

Hi, clearly a new boy with a diversity question to ask. I need to install two new circuits for NAPIT to inspect and am running into a bit of trouble at the chosen site. The issue is one of diversity with two Consumer Units, as firstly there appears to be no guidance on the loading of Distribution Circuits (I have assumed breaker rating value), and secondly before I have even started work things look overloaded with the way that I have worked things out.

The house has two CU's, teh second one installed recently to provide power and lighting to the extension, and is itself fed from a 40A breaker in CU1 via 10mm2 cable.

Simpley doing a calc on info below gets me to a point where with diversity I have a calling for over 120A through a 100A switch. Have I done the calcs right, and would a better solution be to install a Henley block and feed both CU's from this.

Consumer UnitBreakerRating (A)PointsTypePurpose / NotesDiversity (W)Diversity (A)
CU1MCB 0169RadialTungsten Lights Up Right9003.9
CU1MCB 0265RadialTungsten Lights Down Right5002.2
CU1MCB 0364RadialTungsten Lights Up Left4001.7
CU1MCB 0466RadialTungsten Lights Down Left6002.6
CU1MCB 0567RadialTungsten Lights Utility7003.0
CU1MCB 06Blank0
CU1MCB 07203RadialPower Utility8
CU1MCB 08Blank
CU1MCB 093011RingPower Left30
CU1MCB 10308RingPower Right12
CU1MCB 11401RadialDistribution Circuit CU 240.0
CU1MCB 12301RadialCooker (11.1kW)21.5
180 125.0

CU2MCB 01328RingExtension Power32
CU2MCB 02323RingGarage Power12.8
CU2MCB 0369RadialEntension Lights Tungsten9003.9
CU2MCB 04161RadialCentral Heating (112 W)0.0

take 100% of heaviest loaded circuit, then 40% of all other circuits added togetrher. i get than about 80A. but i'll bet a clamp meter will show a lot less in normal use.

Add up all the MCB values and multiply by 0.25

From a practical perspective I think that you (and previous poster) are right, the total current is likely to be well less that 80A. However as this is my 'inspection' job I feel (perhaps unnecessarily) that I need to be spot on with the regs / OSG. If this were a normal job I would merge the two CU's into one with the appropriate switch, but as its an inspection I need to be able to prove the design, and that's where I am struggling a bit. The OSG suggests values for lights, power and cookers (all of which I have included in the far right column) and this shows a theoretical overload. So should I split the feeds and have 2x 25mm tails to each CU?

take 100% of heaviest loaded circuit, then 40% of all other circuits added togetrher. i get than about 80A. but i'll bet a clamp meter will show a lot less in normal use.

Id just X 0.4 over the whole thing, and you would still be well inside the real max demand of any domestic installation!!

From a practical perspective I think that you (and previous poster) are right, the total current is likely to be well less that 80A. However as this is my 'inspection' job I feel (perhaps unnecessarily) that I need to be spot on with the regs / OSG. If this were a normal job I would merge the two CU's into one with the appropriate switch, but as its an inspection I need to be able to prove the design, and that's where I am struggling a bit. The OSG suggests values for lights, power and cookers (all of which I have included in the far right column) and this shows a theoretical overload. So should I split the feeds and have 2x 25mm tails to each CU?

Do you honestly believe that this NAPIT inspector is going to start asking questions on diversity of this installation?? lol!! Even if he did, he should be more than aware of how max demand/diversity is calculated/assessed in the real world...

The BS7671 and OSG formulas do not work, ...end of, as you have found out for yourself. No-one uses them for that very reason. The only exception is the time proven cooker diversity calculation formula.

As said above the OSG calculations would only really work on a very old house with about 4 circuits, once you get into modern CUs the number of circuits escalates without changing the actual demand significantly.

You have a lot of light points there, perhaps some are downlights so limited to 50W, but I do not know the size of the house.
Total of 31 lights half of which may be on at any time so 7A.
As CU2 is fed from CU1 then you can calculate say 50% of the breaker (20A) for CU2 as the total load from CU2 and then ignore the rest of your calculation for CU2 as it is already included in the total.
Leave the cooker calculation as you have it and assume about 30A for power usage in total for running kettle, toaster, and fan heater (for example since kettle and toaster will be on for such a short time they will be irrelevant.)

Total 78A, hey hang on this is the same as the 80A approximations above!

calculating diversity and max. load is about an exact a science as guessing the weight of an elephant's turd in a bath of liquid aluminium.

As said above the OSG calculations would only really work on a very old house with about 4 circuits, once you get into modern CUs the number of circuits escalates without changing the actual demand significantly.

Total 78A, hey hang on this is the same as the 80A approximations above!

Yep and as Tel rightly stated, will still be well over anything that will be seen at the tails!!
If this installation ever sees 50A, it'll be for a few minutes only and as rare as a blue moon!! lol!!

Reply to Inspection Job & Diversity HELP Please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock