Currently reading:
lathe and plaster and downlights!!!

Discuss lathe and plaster and downlights!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Any tips on cutting 76mm holes (20+) for LED downlights in L+P ceilings??

brand new 76mm yellow starrett cutter and 36v drill.....barely scratched the surface on ONE hole and the teeth are already near blunt!

cheers guys

Starrett recommended to me their carbide tipped holesaw, since the lathe and plaster is very abrasive. It works well, a bit more money than the standard but worth the investment is you are doing 20+. Worth pointing out to customer you won't be responsible for extra damage if the ceiling decides to come down at the same time. You would then probably have to wait a few months to get a competent lime plasterer in to make repairs. Trust it is a sound L+P ceiling before you started? i.e. no bulges or sagging indicating that the lathe and plaster have parted company.

Maybe it's just me set in me ways old fashioned and the like, I would not entertain cutting in down lights in L&P. The ceiling is not designed for such activity. IMO
I agree, they definitely are not! but when you got a regular customer hell bent on it......As some guys have said, don't attempt on a flaky ceiling, and tell them in writing you are not responsible if it all comes south. Most of the lofts above are kin awful as well.

Reply to lathe and plaster and downlights!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back