Discuss Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, I am sorry you have been unlucky this time.

It is never nice to get into a dispute.

Find a common ground and settle quickly, would be my best advice.

I'm sure we all hate it. I'm just trying my best to resolve it fairly. That's why I came here to ask experienced electricians.

I'm not trying to duck a bill. I haven't been running from the electrician. It's been me who's been chasing him up. She's been in tears over this and has been taking it personally.

I've done my best to answer all questions, provide photos and be as honest as possible. I even posted the electrician's list of work to try and give a reasonably balanced other side.

I appreciate all the points made and I'm grateful to everyone that has taken the time to post. It's very much appreciated even though my lack of electrical knowledge and frustration will shine through.

I'm not sure if the dad is up for any resolution. His response to my letter was total denial of everthing. That's things that were said and done in front of my partner and me. It's issues of zero doubt.

I'm hoping to have it done and dusted by no later than Monday.

You've made your opinion clear a couple of times. I understand your point and fully accept it.

I don't agree with that just because I didn't ask for a quote that gives the electrician the right to overcharge me.

You've twice said you wouldn't take advantage of the situation and wouldn't rip people off in the circumstances, yet you're defending someone who has.

I am not defending anyone, it’s a forum and I am entitled to my own opinion. You on the otherhand are asking for advice about what you need to do about the matter, but you already have made up a our mind that the guy has conned you.

Good luck to getting it resolved.

If you agree a price for a job the contractor takes the hit for lost time.

If it's done on hourly rate you may get a better deal as a fixed price will include a contingency, however if there is lost time you pay for it.

Either way it's a gamble for someone.

I am not defending anyone, it’s a forum and I am entitled to my own opinion. You on the otherhand are asking for advice about what you need to do about the matter, but you already have made up a our mind that the guy has conned you.

Good luck to getting it resolved.

He has conned me. He has billed me for more hours than worked. That part isn't even debatable.

I'm also billed for hours lost as his son couldn't hang a mirror on his own. Surely I'm not being unreasonable about paying hours to lift a mirror on to a bracket?

The drawers too. I've posted pictures and linked the drawers to allow you to form your opinion. The manufacturer says 15-20 minutes for a competent electrician to fit. The young guy admitted he didn't know how to do them and lost hours. The dad had told the other tradesmen they were easy when he was here.

I've asked the dad about losing hours on the mirror and the incorrect reporting of hours. He fails to answer either question.

He's since pulled time away from tradesman labour and is now billing travel time and still fall short of claimed hours at my house. You make your mind up why he did that.

Last edited:
If you agree a price for a job the contractor takes the hit for lost time.

If it's done on hourly rate you may get a better deal as a fixed price will include a contingency, however if there is lost time you pay for it.

Either way it's a gamble for someone.

The charge sounds astronomic to me and unjustified
It does seem like one big con.here are his obligations and from my understanding he does not have much chance of his con being successful if you challenge him

Watchdog - Supply of services - BBC One - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1fdlwC9xzyxjCpWMlsCGG3j/supply-of-services

When it comes to work itself, the act states that a tradesman or professional has a 'duty of care' towards you and your property. Any standard or price you agree must be honoured. But if it isn't agreed in advance the work must be done to a reasonable standard, at a reasonable cost, and within a reasonable time.

I have spoken to Trading Standards and they basically quoted Des word for word.

I don't think billing someone for hours for being unable to lift a mirror on to a wall will stand up to being fair.

They can't argue they didn't know what was required as that was the second visit and they had already been to check the job requirements out.

I have spoken to Trading Standards and they basically quoted Des word for word.

I don't think billing someone for hours for being unable to lift a mirror on to a wall will stand up to being fair.

They can't argue they didn't know what was required as that was the second visit and they had already been to check the job requirements out.
Quick trip to Hereford may do the trick.

Well all I can say is you will have a hard time disproving his bill and as everyone has said you should have asked for a price not everyone is a saint ! Personally I would have thought 2 visits would have been enough but I can only go by what I see and even if there was a price given then asking him to do additional work would have broken any price agreed then anyway it’s how most of the larger companies make their money ! They price for exactly what’s asked most of the time knowing there will be extras and BANG your hit ! I will give estimates if asked but I am not normally asked ! I don’t charge every hour I’m on a job because I like to talk it’s my choice to talk and I don’t expect the customer to pay me for that time ! ( unless it’s about the work ). Another thing I do is look at what’s to be done decide how much I would be willing to pay for said work and try to stick as closely to that as possible ! I try not to supply materials as I am self employed and these days anyone can buy most things as cheaply as me ! I will make out a detailed list for the customer to purchase and I don’t risk loosing anything but my time and normally get bonuses when billed lol an example! Was at a plumbers house on Friday from 10 till 12 spoke for about an hour but did supply the cable to wire a 2way switch across a room he lifted floors I ran cable and connected ! Was asked how much I said £30 and was told it was too little ! I replied you asked how much so if you choose to give me more that’s your choice ! I walked away with £60 and never even broke a sweat. It pays to treat people right !!

Well all I can say is you will have a hard time disproving his bill and as everyone has said you should have asked for a price not everyone is a saint ! Personally I would have thought 2 visits would have been enough but I can only go by what I see and even if there was a price given then asking him to do additional work would have broken any price agreed then anyway it’s how most of the larger companies make their money ! They price for exactly what’s asked most of the time knowing there will be extras and BANG your hit ! I will give estimates if asked but I am not normally asked ! I don’t charge every hour I’m on a job because I like to talk it’s my choice to talk and I don’t expect the customer to pay me for that time ! ( unless it’s about the work ). Another thing I do is look at what’s to be done decide how much I would be willing to pay for said work and try to stick as closely to that as possible ! I try not to supply materials as I am self employed and these days anyone can buy most things as cheaply as me ! I will make out a detailed list for the customer to purchase and I don’t risk loosing anything but my time and normally get bonuses when billed lol an example! Was at a plumbers house on Friday from 10 till 12 spoke for about an hour but did supply the cable to wire a 2way switch across a room he lifted floors I ran cable and connected ! Was asked how much I said £30 and was told it was too little ! I replied you asked how much so if you choose to give me more that’s your choice ! I walked away with £60 and never even broke a sweat. It pays to treat people right !!

It is defintely nice to be nice and you sound like a Gent.
But if you charge £15/hr I reckon you won’t stay in business long. It’s nice to be the friendly sparky, but we are here to provide a quality service and make profit after a days work.

Reply to Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net