Search the forum,

Discuss low power 110v~240v device on a construction site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Robboy

-
Reaction score
PoE details:
Input: AC 100v~240v- 50/60Hz 0.3A max
Output: DC 24v 0.5A

PoE injector is used to convert mains AC into DC and power IP devices such as CCTV cameras and Wifi APs. These devices are designed for worldwide sale and are also widely used in the US and alike on 110v supplies. The only thing that makes this compatible I believe for the UK is the regional mains lead:

Supplied lead:

Input socket: UK Plug 5A fuse (BS1363)
Output socket: IEC C5 2.5A
flex: 3G 0.75mm2

I cannot find a 110v 16a commando style connector to IEC C5 probably for a good reason.

My initial thought was that I could simply take a 110v flex, cut the UK plug off and connect in a terminal block. However, this means I'm removing the 5Amp fuse from the circuit also there is a difference in the site provided input flex 1.5mm2 to the 0.75mm2 on the original flex??

How can I make this compliant and where or who could I go to get this passed as safe? If all goes well I will probably eventually need 100's of these but need a prototype run of 1o for the moment.

Where should I go to get these made or certified?

mockup:
http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/Liqiz1i.jpg

If you're having many of these on one site, then you may be better off looking at PoE network switches capable of supplying lots of devices whilst providing the networking :)

Fit a unswiched fuse spur

That would only give single-pole fusing. Site supplies are 55-0-55 CT-E. Both live conductors are lines, so any fusing must be double-pole. In this respect they are different from ordinary 110V / 120V USA supplies which have a grounded neutral like our 230V.

The question is whether any fusing is required at all. The unit is probably designed to be used with an unfused plug on both EU 230V 16A circuits and USA 120V 15A circuits. If so, it might be practical to make the connection between the external cable and the C5 moulded cordset using a couple of DIN rail mounting fused terminals.

Interesting one, the tricky part is protecting the IEC C5 which is rated at 2.5A max, they're usually molded onto a cable so that will probably be low current too. The fuse is to protect the cable and connector, not the device.

I'd think about using a Wagobox Light with an inline fuse/connector block. Wire the 16A connector and cable to the C5 via the block and stick a 2A fuse in the carrier. The Wagobox would keep fingers off the terminals and has suitable BS/EN markings. Lucien makes a good point about the 55-0-55 supply so maybe a two inline fuses would be worth considering.

Last edited:
As you're suggesting SP fusing, are you thinking that it's only needed to protect against L-L faults / overcurrent, and that L-E faults will be adequately covered by the supply OCPD?

As you're suggesting SP fusing, are you thinking that it's only needed to protect against L-L faults / overcurrent, and that L-E faults will be adequately covered by the supply OCPD?
No, I agree that it would need 2 fuses to demonstrate adequate protection against any single fault. Posts/edits are getting crossed in the conversation:)

Reply to low power 110v~240v device on a construction site in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net