Currently reading:
Multifunction Tester Comparison Chart

Discuss Multifunction Tester Comparison Chart in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

Former Sponsor TM

View attachment MFT Comparison.pdf

Hi Guys, I've attached a PDF to this post which compares the most popular models of multifunctional testers that we sell and have enquiries for.

Looking through some of the previous posts I hope that this may be of some use to those that intend to purchase a new tester, but aren't too sure what features one model may offer over another.

Please note I've only compared current models of tester, for example the three new 17XX series of Megger MFT, not the 15XX series. The PDF is meant to be a quick overview, if there's anything else that you need advice or help with that the comparison chart does not cover, please contact us on 0113 248 99 66.

We've also got a multifunction tester comparison tool on our website which may also aid your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all honesty you can't get a more rounded tester than the 9083p. I had one but screen got smashed. I'm now on a fluke 1652B and I can't stress how much Iwould like my old tester back. Its the cheapest on the market but also the easiest to use!

very useful, especially as I am one of those asking questions recently.

a few questions if I may:
What is a 15mA continuity test for? I am guessing to prevent RCD trip but wouldn't you use a no trip loop test for that?

Also, an X against insulation testing on the 1710 vs a "not 1000V" for the 9083p? The specs look the same to me (ie. 250&500V) so why the difference in the table?

btw. does the 9083p really not come with a calibration cert?

lastly, what I would love to see in the table is which auto start like the meggers do on continuity and loop.

Thanks,
Toby

Hi brman,

If you can imagine that you are doing an end to end continuity test on a ring final circuit. For example, you would clip one of your test leads to the outgoing line conductor, and the other to the incoming line conductor to measure the continuity of that conductor. With a tester that has a 15mA continuity test, as soon as your second test lead touches the incoming line conductor, the continuity reading is instantly displayed. (Basically the autostart that you mentioned).

With a tester that doesn't have this facility and it's not generally a problem, you basically have to press a 'test' button to carry out the test. To be fair, this is a feature that a lot people will be used to anyway. 15mA is basically a safer current to test at than 200mA, hence why with a 15mA continuity test you do not have to press a test button.

Finally, regarding the insulation resistance functionality - the 9083p will test at 100V, 250V, 500V (marketed as a part P tester). It doesn't come with a calibration certificate, however it is supplied with a certificate of conformity stating that it has been tested to relevant standards.

The Megger MFT1710 will only test at 250V & 500V. Again, these are typical domestic insulation resistance test voltages and would not be suitable for testing installations designed to operate above 500V.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Test-Meter, that is very helpful.

So are you saying the Megger 1710 does not have the continuity and loop test autostart that older 1502 and 1552 have? Of just that it is done at 200mA so not as safe?

Thanks
Toby

Hi Toby, the 17XX series of tester (1710, 1720, 1730) all feature the autostart continuity and loop functions that the Megger MFT1552 & MFT1553 featured.

Guys, we've also got a multifunction tester comparison tool on our website.

It's certainly a useful tool, some of you may have used it already when deciding what tester to purchase. It basically calculates a choice of testers based on what features you require, by simply clicking which feature you need, or are interested in.

As an ex-spark, I can really appreciate that you need to feel comfortable with your tester, and making the right choice of tester is imperitive. Hopefully the addition of these tools will help you overcome any doubts or queries.

Thanks!

Yup, its time to put them on the antiques roadshow!:sifone:

Well, TBH i have two sets and one will end up on the bay, unless anyone else wants them.

Ill put them up for sale here first once i have my new one !

Also, when i watched the demo video, the chap said that this can measure earth leakage with an accessory clamp?

Anyone confirm this?

Ta.

Megger's MFT1730 will do the following that the MFT1720 will not:

Measure insulation resistance at 100V,
Test type 'B' RCD's (DC Current RCD's),
Measure earth resistance with the additional option of a ground resistance kit (this comes as standard with the MFT1730 Onsite version),
Rechargeable

The optional clamp will operate with all of the 17xx series of testers, and can measure earth leakage. It is also rated to 100A if you need to measure a higher current range.

I hope this helps :yes:

Well, i put mine to use today, and i have to say, it seems very slow when doing EFLI tests, on non trip and high current.

Anyone else have a Megger MFT that does this?

Is it just me?

Ta!

Well, i put mine to use today, and i have to say, it seems very slow when doing EFLI tests, on non trip and high current.

Anyone else have a Megger MFT that does this?

Is it just me?

Ta!

I think MarkieSparkie has been in touch with Megger about this, this is his reply to another thread......

"In "No-trip" mode the Megger MFT electronics requires 3 wire L, N and E connections for power and reference so that the sophisticated method of noise cancellation that the Megger uses can resolve the impedance from the low level "No-trip" current pulses, even in an electrically noisy environment. It is because of this multiple current pulse and noise cancellation technique that the Megger gets unfair criticism from users of other MFTs (Fluke particularly) for it's apparently slow "No-trip" test, however, Megger users get the last laugh because they very rarely have their test inhibited by a noise error".

Reply to Multifunction Tester Comparison Chart in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back