Currently reading:
New 4mm T&E feed to existing remote 2.5mm ring. OK or not?

Discuss New 4mm T&E feed to existing remote 2.5mm ring. OK or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
I'm building a small rental annexe at my own house, which will be supplied by a new local sub-main, with local metering. This includes one existing bedroom which will become part of the annexe.
This room has an existing ring final in 2.5mm, all in good condition. Rather than run two new 2.5s, a long way, in parallel to the new DB, may I run a single 4mm, then connect the existing 2.5mm 'tails' (now pulled back from the main house DB) to this locally? One less joint, and one less awkward run of cable. Protection would be a 25A RCBO.
I can think of no reason why this is not OK electrically, but I've never seen it done. It feels a bit 'bodgy' but so is running two great lengths of 2.5 in parallel for no particular reason.
Have I missed anything? Are there any regs about the CCA change within a circuit which might apply?

Ha Ha! You completely misjudge me. I'm a scientist by nature and training: it's always a pleasure to be proved wrong and hence to learn something new. That's how science works.

But rather than receive an ad hominem attack from behind anonymity, I'd prefer to hear why, technically, what I propose is 'wrong'. Explain that, clearly, and I'd be the first to thank you for teaching me something new.

Go ahead please.

Cheers, Mark
Keep learning, prof. We all are.
As I intimated, you've got all the answers....

Didn’t realise you had another thread.
I’ve posted onto there.
That cable is non compliant.
The standards are irrelevant for this country, my information is from the governing bodies..
Not my opinion, I have to comply with the use of standard cables as a responsible electrician.. insurance purposes, etc..

You are a diyer so perhaps you play by different rules.

That cable is non compliant. ...
Interesting new evidence. What date is your BASEC e-mail please?
This must, by extension, mean that the wide supply of these cables by all the big suppliers*, obviously for inclusion in regulated installations in the UK, is effectively fraudulent. Any reasonable person would believe that cables sold by legitimate suppliers would be legally usable.
This is potentially a big story, with costs running into millions.
Taken at face value, it means that every installation which contains these cables should be condemned as non-compliant. It has massive insurance implications.

* EDIT: And the supplier I used is a major sponsor of this forum ...

Wow! What a thread - so different from the standard DIY question we see. The difference here is opinion. I’ve read lots of opinions here, I have my own as do others. There is nothing wrong with the ops opinion. The difference, and the thing that unites us here is being compliant with the regulations. Being able to sign off an installation as complying to those, good or bad. We even have opinions about the regs but we still comply. Your opinion is fine, I agree with many of your thoughts and comments but what you suggest is not compliant and that’s the problem here.

Reply to New 4mm T&E feed to existing remote 2.5mm ring. OK or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock