Currently reading:
Oven supply question

Discuss Oven supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
When our Victorian semi was tarted-up in the 1980s, the cooker circuit to the kitchen was ripped out but fortunately since we moved in in 2000 the oven we've been using (with the gas hob) has been OK on a 13A plug. That oven is now well past its best before, and the replacement the wife wants is specified as 3.2kW. The fuse rating quoted is 16A.

One of the 32A MCB's in the consumer unit feeds the sockets upstairs and the 4 in the kitchen (but not the rest of the ground floor). The maximum likely load upstairs at any one time is an electric blanket, a clock radio and a vacuum cleaner. In the kitchen, it's kettle, toaster, ordinary front-loading washing machine, bog standard fridge/freezer and the new oven.

Being dependant on my State Pension + benefits, I need to sort out the supply to this oven ASAP without dipping much more into what's left of my savings. Electrician A has quoted £270 incl VAT to run a new supply from the consumer unit to a cooker switch in the cupboard alongside the oven (but using mini trunking along the hall skirting rather than diving under the floor). Electrician B has quoted £60 incl VAT to add a 20A cooker switch to the existing kitchen ring main, on the basis that in practice we're never going to have all elements of the oven drawing max current at once, and if they ever did, worst case would be the MCB trips, which is no big deal.

I'm obviously keen on Plan B but ... is there a potential snag to it which isn't obvious to me?

And ... just to give this thread a proper ending, cheapest sparky of three came round yesterday bang on promised time, and left three hours later having done us a first class job.

Decent bloke - civil, not rabbitting on all the time about how hard done to he is, not forever on his phone, and actually wiped his feet on the doormat every time he came in (he did have over-booties type things with him but I told him not to bother with them on account of the carpet's being replaced next week). Took pictures of various things as he was working and as he was finishing off, having asked beforehand if we were OK with him doing that.

He pointed out that we just need to be aware of a crack in a plastic moulding in the consumer unit (as opposed to telling us we need a new consumer unit), and left a very neat job clean and tidy with all required stickers and notices in place and BC informed.

Result - happy punters who will definitely use him again and will recommend him to anyone.

See...
There are a few good men out there

Not all con artists and shoddy work

Yes indeed. And I forgot to say that I was reckoning on him finishing the job once the cooker point and socket was wired in, but he wasn't having any of that. He insisted on wiring the oven up and installing it so he could test the whole shebang.

Anyhow, thanks for your help with this, gentlemen. I'll be back in due course seeking your opinions on another bit of electrical work we're hoping to be able to afford.

So you went for the bodge. Nothing to be proud of.

As said by Andy78: "There is specific guidance in the wiring regulations that any cooking load over 2kW should not be permanently connected into a socket ring circuit to avoid overloading any one portion of the ring circuit. This could be construed as being non compliant."

I'll be back in due course seeking your opinions on another bit of electrical work we're hoping to be able to afford.

Lets hope you will take notice of what we tell you next time!

Reply to Oven supply question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back