Currently reading:
Ownership of the supply earth

Discuss Ownership of the supply earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparc

Does anyone know if there is a definitive answer on who can do what, who is expected to do what, with regards to the supply earth?

I'm getting conflicting stories from two neighbouring suppliers on this, so I'm wondering if it comes down to their own policies, or they're interpreting a national policy in different ways.

Specifically, in one circumstance with a TNS supply the Ze reading was awful, but the supplier told the customer it was the electrician's job to PME or TT the supply - no testing done or offered by them.

In another circumstance where there is a lousy Ze of an earth spike, the suppliers says they will assess whether it can be PME's, then its sparks job to do it, if it is - or presumable convert to TT if it can't be PME'ed.

Can anyone shed some clarity on this please?

What? Did you read my post at all? I've not said the DNOs don't make earthing connections with jubilee clips! I know we do, but we also strip back the steel tapes and remove the pitch/clean up the lead then make a decent connection to the lead! I was on about a "dodgy" electricians mock up.

Who's frightened to remove them? Where have I even mentioned that?

I wasn't referring to what you wrote verbatum, just making an observation from a previous thread in the ''Commercial Industrial'' section of this forum!!!

Netblindpaul ...In the WPD area there are a lot of 951 clamps and jubilee clip type connections having been made to their network over the years.
I have not had any of their people admit as to who made these connections, however, when you look at the numbers, then it was certainly not the odd spark or DIY'er.

They have had incidents and reportable accidents when removing these clamps, thus they no longer do it unless they have to.
The cumulative experience of WPD is that to remove one is more dangerous than to leave it, and is also more dangerous than to undertake a controlled, clean, live cut, on an undamaged cable

As for the use of 951 clamps being used on lead sheathed cables, this has been a No No, from the time i came into this industry, and probabaly long before. So the method you describe above, is still NOT an acceptable method, DNO performed or not!! The only mechanical clamps suitable for use on Lead sheathed PILC cable that i know of, are Hepworth clamps (generally used by the DNO's) or constant pressure spring clips....

been meaning to remove the bs951 clamp ( at home, not done by me) and replace it for a while. now i don't know if i'll get blown up or not. perhaps a case if if it ain't broke, don't fix it. LOL.

Came across this last week. For some reason the MET has not been used, and the main earth to the consumer unit and the main bonding to the water service have both been connected direct onto the cable sheath using a BS951 type clamp. Any ideas why the MET might not have been used? And opinions please on whether I can/should re-terminate both conductors to the MET, or need to call out the DNO?

Attachments

• IMAG0413.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0412.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0411.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 23

Reply to Ownership of the supply earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back