Currently reading:
popcorn machine- which step-down transformer do I need?

Discuss popcorn machine- which step-down transformer do I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Leigh2000

Hi

I'm in the process of ordering a popcorn machie from the USA. Here is the link to the site-

Commercial Popcorn Popper | Vintage Style Popcorn Popper | Discount Popcorn Popping Machine

I know I need a "step-down" voltage converter to make it work as it runs off 110v. However, I don't know what VA rating I need on the converter. Can anyone suggest which one I need? Is 45VA too small or is 100VA too large?? I don't even know what "VA" means:confused:?

Help!!!

Thanks guys!

Leigh :grin:

Tell me more!! How much do I need?

As you are importing the equipment in from the USA, you will be classed under statute law in the EU as the manufacturer.
Thus you will be liable for ensuring that the equipment meets any and all of the requirements for that type of machinery for sale and use within the EU.
FULL STOP.
Like it or not that is the Statute Law situation, so you need to investigate what the Statute Law requirements are for this kind of machine for use and sale in the EU and ensure that it complies with them all, and provide any and all documentation to the users as required by UK law.
Oh and by the way, importing machinery for your own use is classed as putting the machinery onto the market, thus it must comply with the same rues as if you were selling it to someone else.

Suspect that a site transformer might be a bit of an eye sore in a kitchen so suggest you get hold of a US long extension lead. Wire the extension lead into the site transformer, you will need a yellow plug to plug into the transformer. Then you can put the transformer in a cupboard (they are heavy). Dont be tempted to chop off the US plug off the popcorn machine as this stops you forgetting and accidently plugging it into the UK mains...eeek

Thanks again plugsandsparks, I'll do as you suggest.

As long as the thing works safely and doesn't become resposnible for burning down the neighbourhood then surely the feds won't be too bothered!! I just want a popcorn machine in the kitchen to keep the kids happy, I'm not planning on competing with showcase cinemas!

Well the hardest bit will be wiring the plug, and lifting the tranny. I would buy one locally just in case carriage is a bit steep.
BTW - can't you just get a UK one, there must be something out there that you can just plug into the sockets in your kitchen. Dont know much about popcorn, i think mrs P&S uses the microwave :)

1m Yellow 16A 110v plug to USA Mains socket NEMA 5: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

This looks a useful bit of kit! Does what you suggest and I don't have to go chopping bits off other bits. As for popcorn machines the general consensus is that the non-commercial ones don't last. May as well fork out for the one above as Amazon deliver now.

Thaks for all your help! Top man!

Well i never ! - They think of everything ! -
So looks like you are sorted for less than £80

If they're anything like my kids were they'll eat popcorn by the bucketload till they get sick of it then never touch it again, making your imported machine an expensive ornament. There's recipes for the stuff all over, grab a few then get the little blighters to make it.
Thus sorting you out for nowt:)

Hi

I'm in the process of ordering a popcorn machie from the USA. Here is the link to the site-

Commercial Popcorn Popper | Vintage Style Popcorn Popper | Discount Popcorn Popping Machine

I know I need a "step-down" voltage converter to make it work as it runs off 110v. However, I don't know what VA rating I need on the converter. Can anyone suggest which one I need? Is 45VA too small or is 100VA too large?? I don't even know what "VA" means:confused:?

Help!!!

Thanks guys!

Leigh :grin:

Are you saying that you can't get a popcorn machine of a similar description anywhere in Europe??

To be honest i've never understood why anyone would import or bring back from holiday's etc, electrical equipment that is not designed to be run on UK's electrical system. Then has to run round looking for a suitable step-up transformer or whatever to have any chance of making it work!!!

Let's hope nothing goes wrong with it, because getting spares and any warranty work done on this machine is going to be very interesting!! lol!!

So The above deals with the VOLTAGE. Now you need to think about power frequency.

I guess that you are located in the UK.
The power frequency in the US is 60Hz.
The power frequency in UK is 50Hz

The popcorn maker has a motor (for the stirrer). You will need to confirm that the stirrer/motor will operate properly at 50Hz. It may be OK, it may run slower than normal, it may not be OK.

Last edited:

Reply to popcorn machine- which step-down transformer do I need? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back