Search the forum,

Discuss Portable gas soldering iron? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BillyH

Are the cheap and cheerful eBay jobbies any good or do I need to splash the cash. It's not something I would use on a regular basis but would be useful to have on the van just in case. What should I look for? How much should I pay? Occasional soldering duties and heat shrinking

Just read your post can only give you one bit of advice and that is put it in your van not on your van or no matter which one you buy it will be money wasted ; ) as for which one you get what you pay for so only you know what you can afford but good luck anyway

Just read your post can only give you one bit of advice and that is put it in your van not on your van or no matter which one you buy it will be money wasted ; ) as for which one you get what you pay for so only you know what you can afford but good luck anyway
Thank you for your very useful advice!

We got fed up with gas soldering irons, no matter how much we spent. Purchased a small little battery pack 200w mains invertor from maplins for £39, now we just charge and use 25w mains soldering irons...plus we can use to charge drills phone, so it gets used

Got mine from Aldi a year or 2 ago. Doesnt get a lot of use now, but was always good and reliable, Cost about a tenner, and comes with all sorts of attachments. I always had a blow torch in my van, and a few plumbing bits and pieces, i have had to fix what i broke on more than one occasion.

Cheers........Howard

Irodo seems to have taken over from Antex for Gas soldering irons from what I gather, I have an Antex Gascat 70 soldering Iron and the replacement bits from Irodo all fit it, also the new Irodo soldering Irons all look 100% the same as the Antex ones that used to be on sale which no longer seem to be sold/manufactured, the only difference is that they are blue and the Antex ones were yellow....
I only use Antex Electric soldering Irons, they are the best ones I have used and I like them, have been using for years now, and I have an Antex gas one, the Irodo Gas soldering Irons are good, they have them on special offer in Maplins every year around this time, I get a maplin special offer booklet in the post a few times a year and I'm sure that the gas soldering irons are on offer at the moment...
for heatshrink I use a small gas torch instead of the heat attachment on a soldering iron as it has a bigger flame, I have one with Flame master printed on the side of it, I bought it in Maplins years ago and it fills up with the yellow tins of lighter gas....

at full price the soldering iron kit is about £40 and on offer its about £15.....handy to have one in the toolbox for when you want to tin something or solder a tag connection or the likes....

I could only find 1 picture of the flame master on the internet on google images, might be discontinued now.....could look in maplin anyway as they will still be selling something similar I'm sure....

I use a make called Portasol, comes with 4 different size bits, a knife bit and a hot air bit.

Thats the one if you want gas, gets the heat in cold surroundings, and as spin says has the hot air blower plus shield, and also a flame torch that will solder yorkies if you are that way inclined lol.

Don't mind me while I bump some old threads. Just doing the rounds. Ignore the thread if it's not current topic, it'll soon drop off the list, but if the thread interests you, feel free to reply. :)

Reply to Portable gas soldering iron? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock