Currently reading:
Problems with phone sockets and wi fi.

Discuss Problems with phone sockets and wi fi. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoover

-
Reaction score
Hi. Pulling my hair out with this one. I'll try and keep it simple. Recently I've moved into a new house which has eleven telephone points dotted around in different rooms. They are wired from the master via two radial circuits, one serving each side of the house. The wiring appears to be a mix of ordinary telephone cable and cat 5 cable. All seems punched and connected correctly. That's the background to the installation. My problem started when we tried to get broadband. It was very slow so after disconnecting all the internal wiring and trying again this didn't improve. So problem externally there then. But what broadband I could get was knocked off unless I disconnected my cordless phone. Why is this? The wifi does not agree with the cordless phone. Another problem- the last two telephone points on one of the extensions don't work when I plug the phone in. Now I've tested the cable and belled out each core and disconnected and reconnected the terms but no difference. This one really has me going. Also my phone gives a two tone almost like a police siren on the dialling tone- maybe because it's not getting enough power externally? I know this all sounds confusing but maybe someone will understand.

most are now infrared, some not, remotes for gates seem to be the worst. try setting your computer on a download or speedtest, then use your phone and watch the speed. the problem is not that they use the exact same frequency, but that they have lousy frequency control and tend to spew out masses of interference above and below the frequency qoted on the back of the kit.
phil/hermetic

Maybe before you blame the wireless connection completely, you should ascertain if you are receiving a decent level of bandwidth to begin with.

If your connection to your ISP is poor then it really does not matter if the wireless is playing up or not, excepting that you will just be adding to the problem :6:

Try connecting your PC directly to one of the ports at the back of the router, they are normally setup to be DHCP servers so providing you have setup the NIC card in your PC to work with DHCP (as opposed to being manually configured) it should connect without issue.

Then just visit a reputable site that can measure you upload and download speeds....

UK Broadband Speed Test with Broadband StreetStats

This is a decent service and once you have done it, you can compare the results you are getting to what your neighbours are getting. Useful for finding out if you are just on a $hite exchange or if the problem is only you.

Cheers

I would start with the simple one, connect to the router using a cable and not wifi, this would simply rule out cordless knocking out the wifi(very doubtfull). Next disconnect everything including router/filters and connect using a standard wired phone and dial 0 and listen to the line(you got a few seconds before it responds) hear any noises? snap/crackle/pop/is it clean?(e.g. is it silent or does it sould like a radio out of tune) etc if yes then call your ISP and ask for a RATS test and hopefully this should tell you where the fault is or near abouts. If not then do the same test with the cordless phone in(no router yet) If noise appears then suspect cordless base. Then same again with both cordless+router+filter in, another thing to do is listen when the router is trying to connect, if you hear noise either when dialed 0 or just listening to the dial tone when the router connects. If they all pass then add one phone at a time.

Just reading your post again it sounds like your hearing the router trying to connect to the DSLAM with a break in the line. BT 1571 is a contant <tone><pause><tone> with no variations in freqency. If it is then ignore eveything above and you want to do this:

Disconnect everything then at the Master socket. If its a NTE5 socket then take off the face and there should be a socket on the back of that(If not work with what you got), connect a filter, wired phone and router. Listen to the line for noises, press 0 and that'll make it a tad quieter. If you still hear that two tone noise then contact your ISP for a RATS test. Its their department after that as anything behind the NTE is their equipment.
(sorry for the rambling...just got home from the night shift).
If you can try changing the filter and RJ11 cable from the router to the filter.

If none of that helps, call up the ISP anyways and get them to manually drop the speed to about 100kb/s and see how that goes, if it stays working then its probably lots of line noise, usually the DSLAM does this automatically but things do happen and go strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was you I would replace all the old wiring but first find out how far you are from the BT exchange. Also log on to bt.speedtester.com to see what speed your BT exchange operates at. When done if the speeds a little slow fit a BT-i plate to your master socket. Make sure your isp has got your account correctly setup too

Make sure all connected equipment that plugs in to a phone socket including sky boxes has a filter. You can get Sockets that have the filter built in so no dangly wires hanging down. If that doesn't solve your problem ask your isp for a new free router or buy a new one. Choose a Draytek or Billion plus choose a 5ghz router. Make sure if capable your wireless signal operates on the n signal rather than the b/g setting you need to make sure all your laptops wireless cards can run on the new n signal most are backward compatible with b/g

As for cordless phone destroying your wireless signal utter rubbish. You do get problems with phone calls be cut off but that’s a line fault. Lastly if this doesn’t help ring BT but do not tell them you are having slow internet problems tell them the phone crackly or you keep being cut off otherwise they won’t help you. Hopefully a BT engineer will be sent out and find a fault and fix it free-hopefully!!!!

Puddy

Reply to Problems with phone sockets and wi fi. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back