Currently reading:
RCD - Cooker

Discuss RCD - Cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Just fitted a cooker as soon as energised RCD triped. All wiring correct etc.

Tenant says had a few problems with intermittent tripping.

Old cooker was gas with ignition plugged into 13A socket fed from old electrical oven circuit 6mm cable. I have utilised this.

Did I/R Test on circuit. Live-neutral >500, Live-Earth >500. Neutral-Earth 1.45m ohms.

Ramped RCD at 33ma

1/2 timer IdeltaN - Trip 0'00ms

Faulty RCD yes.

But faulty circuit aswell? Under 2mohm

Work backwards then and start from the point your meant to once you have finished extending the circuit.

Go A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, etc
NOT A, H

If you know what I mean - sometimes it works and some times it does not.

As you may know this is notifiable and therefore a Minor Works or EIC needs to be issued - where are you going to get the results if you have not tested it - please dont say you where going to make it up!!

I also take your a registered Electrician so we should not have to tell you that.

Just a quick thought - when you IR Tested it did you do it on 250v DC or 500v DC.

If you did it on 250v DC you will have a higher reading than on 500v DC, then if did on 500v DC, you would of got below 1MOhm - making it a fail.

Simple solution: remove RCD.
nick think you are getting ahead of yourself there. All my work is signed off and tested correctly. However on this occasion I energised first. As I only extended cable to reach cooker as previous cooker was plugged direct into a 13a socket on this circuit. Yes a 6mm in a 13 a socket. I would not have expected my new cable of 2m length and to have a failed I/r

Its was just a reminder more than anything - we have a go on at others on here who are DIYers who engage and hope it works, we should not be doing down this route ourselves!

It happens - we are in a rush to get home and we just try it before - not the best though as you found out.

Good luck tomorrow with sorting it - I think you have some ideas on where to go from here.

What ever happens dont remove the RCD as spinlondon said! the RCD is doing you a favor here even if you don't think so at this point

L-E >500

L-N>500

N-E 1.45mohms bar to bar.

Did you carry out these tests with the cooker switch on or off.
If it was left on try re-testing with the cooker switch off, if that clears the low reading N-E then the fault lies on the load side, i.e the new cable or the cooker.
If it doesn't clear the fault disconnect the cpc and neutral from the ccu and re-test that way you'll know if it is your cooker circuit that's at fault

Reply to RCD - Cooker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock