Search the forum,

Discuss Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So the contract states 3kW, whereas my (typical) townhouse has 5.75kW. Im going to up the supply to 5ish kW for the 3buildings.

One will be a (simple) workshop, another just needs lights, the third may turn into a home in the far future. From what i´ve read the house best have a 30A, the shed only needs a 20A, and the outhouse only a 10A.
Should i bother with fused disconnects, or just splice all 3 buildings to the meter...

(please stop suggesting a local sparky - as i have mentioned the local sparkys are not inspire trust. They insist on a 2 wire system, whereas i want a proper third earth. Its the back of beyond and i cant be more specific. Shouldnt matter to the experts)

Thanks for the advise. (and videos from the unemployed and unemployable).

So it seems some "Henley Blocks" splitting the "tails" from the meter to individual "CU"s will be all thats needed. So glad i didnt spend a fortune on a sparky for that !!
However, as i dont yet have 3 CUs installed, i´d still like to have 3 disconnects in a main panel.
If anyone cares to continue this discussion sensibly i´d like to hear advise on the types of main panels vs subpanels, etc.

You obviously are just going to do what you want regardless. Sorry to sound abrupt, but you need an electrician to design and install this.

And your attitude seems a bit ropey. In my opinion anyway. Sorry.

Not knowing where you are and the additional information that has been requested by members, providing accurate (and most importantly safe) advice is difficult at best, but in most cases is near impossible. Particularly with larger under takings, which this most definitely is.

Your statement that other electricians have suggested a two wire system as you've put it and you're not happy with that suggests to me, you're not interested in listening to the professionals. You've got a fixed idea in your head that you're not willing to move from. There may be very good reasons they made the suggestions and I'm guessing, they've seen the site and know some of the answers to questions that have been asked by the professionals here (like the type of earthing system present at the supply).

I also suspect the reason you believe they aren't to be trusted is because you think their prices are too high because they are clearly trying to rip you off. In reality if you received multiple quotes for roughly the same amount for the same job, it's likely your expectations need adjustment. If your '150money' view is for this job, £150 would get you a little over half a day of my time. This is a much bigger job than that.

As for your neighbour having a particular setup... that does not mean his is correct and safe! Don't for one second think that just having RCDs will keep you safe. There are situations they offer less protection than a fuse.

To be blunt, you obviously have not taken in what has been said so far. If (as you claim) you are a noob, and consequently considered unskilled, this is beyond your capabilities, PERIOD! You should engage the services of a qualified electrician for this, failure to do so could result in injury or death, plain and simple.

Large sums of money are involved because we are dealing with large amounts of electrical power here. High powered Electrical equipment and cables are expensive, remember we are dealing amps in the hundreds not tens! big switch's, big blocks, big cables are all expensive. not to mention good design is critical as the risk of danger is very real, and once you touch it, your risk being legally liable for it should something happen.

(so dont need to pay lots more for fused switches - up to you of course). Plus it can be disconnected - Allowing safe installation of the 3 required switches.
Are you asking or telling me?
So you have at present a 180A single phase supply are you going to want to meter these three supplies?The shed I take it is just for storage and as said just needs light(s) The house I would allow 100A supply The workshop are you intending to hire/rent this out as you will need to evaluate the loads that may be required. You will need a main switch then yes you could split after that via henley blocks but will still need switch fuses for each of the supplies. what you have to take account of is that the longer the distance these supplies are from the entrance intake the larger the cable will need to be and this would meen you have to buy a larger switched fuse to physically terminate these cables. A bit of advice on the forum choose your words more carefully as you are asking members advice but telling them they wrong as it is the answer that does not fit in with what you wanted to be told.

Reply to Recommend a product please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back