Currently reading:
Replacing a Socket the 4 Homes way

Discuss Replacing a Socket the 4 Homes way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil

No mention of any safe isolation, no mention of a volt meter never mind an approved voltage indicator if you want its full title anywhere in the tool list,
Socket back box and faceplate
Cold chisel
Plaster filler
Hammer
Hammer drill and masonry bit (12-18mm)
Electrical screwdriver
Pliers
Wire strippers or craft knife
Gloves
Goggles
Pencil
Spirit level

oh and on the tip list it says to get it signed off by an electrician when you have finished;
finished what? having a cardiac on the floor because you did not check it was safe to work on

The 2-3 adaptors always have a fuse on-board. There are some good quality ones out there, just as there is rubbish (like everything else). Just make sure you don't need 2 or 3 heavy load items at that outlet point.

True, I've got a fair few of these (admittedly donkeys years old and I don't tend to use them) but they're all fused to 13A. How come people complain about these, but not trailing 4-way blocks on a flex? They're both basically a fused spur, albeit, one without a run of cable...

The 3-gang adapters were purchased from B&Q a few years back. My mate bought 4, installed one himself at the time and then gave up. The installed one has a defective switch (doesn't connect the neutral consistently when switched on). One of the uninstalled one also has a defective switch. The units are Clipsal Converta.

Most of the installed sockets on the ring handle the usual kitchen appliances, My mate assures me the extra sockets are needed for things like phone chargers, not heavy load items.

Am I correct in assuming that the fuse only protects the extra socket?

Anyway, apologies to the original poster for hijacking his thread.

Are the complaints about the 3-way cube adaptors partly to do with the fact that they are rated for a 13A draw (as per fuse), but in reality, the load could exceed that for quite a while before the fuse goes?

Reply to Replacing a Socket the 4 Homes way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock