Search the forum,

Discuss Temporary Power to Yard in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisdicko

Hi,
I hope someone can help me here, and apologies for being my first post and I'm asking a question!

I work in a factory, and do all the internal electrical work to 17th Edition and testing to 2391, but have been asked by management to do a job which I'm not sure the best way to go about it, due to never having done it before to be honest.

Our cold store is too small for our needs now, so we have got a refrigerated trailer from a wagon, which will be parked in the yard, and product stored in there. Every Friday a cab will come and pick it up, and drop us an empty trailer off, so we can start filling it again!

The problem is the trailer needs a power supply. It has a 32A 3PN+E plug on the trailers.

The trailer is parked approx 25m from the building, so I need to get power to it. Obviously the easiest solution would be to run a cable to it, with RCD and overload protection on it. But I wouldn't say this is the safest option as the cable could get run over, it's a trip hazard, and the operator could unplug it with the unit under load. In the factory I use interlocked sockets, so the supply has to be switched off before it can be unplugged.

Is it against the regs to run a cable laid on the ground for temporary use? But with correct protection.

Ideally I would bury the cable under ground, and have a proper power point outside, but the cost of doing this isn't very practical for use.

Any suggestions the best way to go about getting a temp supply outside 25m from the building, the safest way?

Thanks a lot
Chris

You could put the cable in some of these and put a TPN socket with an integrated RCD on the wall of the factory and make a lead up to go to the trailer.

Heavy Duty Dual Purpose Cable Protector

Bit better picture

Heavy Duty Cable Protector -Watco Traffic
Control

Or these people

External Cable Protector, Cable protectors, Cable protection, Speed bumps, Speed ramps, Kerb ramps from cableprotector.co.uk, Nottingham, UK

So the trailer is in the middle of nowhere with no buildings or static positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
What pennywise has suggested is a good idea you would need to know what the volume of traffic would be going over the cable.

If it has HGV's constantly driving over it may not last to long.

How about erecting a strong steel pole maybe even a lamppost shaft and run a catenary wire to it from the factory, Then a SWA across it, down the pole and then into the TPN RCD socket outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Temporary Power to Yard in the Electricians' Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net