Currently reading:
Threadless Conduit Couplers

Discuss Threadless Conduit Couplers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks Lenny for your help, but please show me where ive given any spec on the coupler. Ive only said thank you to people that have said nice things and stood up for myself in a nice and polite way. Ive never asked anyone to purchase the coupler and ive never said it will replace stocks and dies for everyone.
Thanks and Lenny your a gent

Is this just couplers were talking about here ??

LOL. Engineer54, I went on a bit of a rant there sorry about that lol. But I drew comparisons because I have seen for myself with respected mobs i.e. Baileys/Balfour Kilpatricks/Hills electrical etc. that if you don't nip it in the bud early on you leave yourself and the contract wide open to abuse.

And one more thing i am a time servered electrician with a 5 year appenticeship working with conduit for more years then i can remember for everyone from the NHS to the US GOVERMENT and ive been the trade now for 29years. All it was gentleman was a question and you get me a debate on the rights and wrongs of conduit installation, FAIR PLAY

Only used this sort of thing a couple of times rewiring realy old houses with imperial conduit which had to be cut only used knock ons to fit bushes or kopex Apart from the continuity hows about the IP rating?? always handy to have one or 2 in the van just incase but wouldnt do a full new job using them

Iv looked at the website lenny found and it "looks" like there is some sort of mechanical locking device similar to those "new fangled" plumbing fittings did a few years ago now every plumber uses them over copper / compresion where they arent seen

Lenny do you sometimes feel like you wished you hadn't said anything? lol. I agree with mogga about using them for imperial to metric conversion but not for whole job and I've actually been asked by the clerk of works in the past to fit a tenby earth bonding clamp either side of the join with 6mm cpc to give good continuity when using these things!

Used something very similar in situations where it was impossible to use conventional coupling, or any other fitting come to that!! .... But as for being IP67, ....still find that a hard pill to swallow, especially on metal to metal connections....

Anyone here used copper conduit and bronze/brass alloy conduit boxes?? ...Yes the system does exist!! ...haha!!!

Like you said madmac i wish i had never said anyting but just for you the continuity is spot on. If you us them on a old imperial system they DONT fit and the continuity goes out the window. Cheers

@mark-iow: Don't take anything on here personally mate, Engineer54 wasn't having a pop at you and neither am I, it's just that when we read a lot of these threads it's from inexperienced domestic installers( no offence to any DI's), and they always seem to want to go for the easy option rather than the tried and tested/proven methods because they're not fully trained but I take all on board that you are time served like me and you were simply asking/putting a scenario to us and I appreciate the debate anyway mate lol. Now I'm going to get abused for slagging of DI'S!!!lol.

Cheers madmac i totally understanded what everyone is saying and i totally agree its just when someone starts going at you and people jump on the band wagon it gets my back up. If anyone had care to ask i believe theres a place for everything and everything has its place. With regards for these couplers i believe they are great in certain circumstance thats all. If you want them at a proper price go direct mate.Thank and take care

Only couplers listed. If you want say a 3 way box it’s 3 X push fit to 20mm threaded adaptors @ £5.57 each then the box @£1.55. Grand total £18.26 per 3 way box!

I’d give it a miss.

I’m sorry but your fighting a lost cause with me.

They degrade our trade to the level of plumbers. I’ve always had pride in my conduit installations.

Even at the manufactures price the cost for a simple installation would be astronomical.

I honestly cannot see a single advantage to them. Unless of course, you don’t know how to do a running coupling.

Sorry i give up as i said before 29 years in this game a 5 year apprenticeship and still willing to learn. IM GOT SELLING THIS COUPLER im only asking if anyone has used them and the ones that have, have answered my question and for my conduit installation skills i believe i can do ok.

I suppose it depends on where you were trained. To me a running nipple sound like a female complaint :yesnod:

If it's a piece of conduit threaded it's entire length for about 1.5 inches then cut off and screwed into a BESA box which leaves about 3/4 inch proud, and you run on a coupling backed by a locknut then we called them "running Nipples"

I remember you also called conduit blacked-Japaned and we always called in black-enamel strange how the trade in different areas call different things.

I am sort of in the middle on this
icon7.png

Blackened japan ?
icon13.png

Isn't that a screw. Black japan screw with slotted head for pyro runs
Black enamel is conduit
icon14.png

Running coupler, thats definetly in my vocabulary
icon14.png

Running nipple
icon13.png
,definetly feminine fluid problems

Looks like I got to this party a bit late.................

Soooo.... this is quite a bodacious claim that you can rattle up metal conduit as quick as the PVC stuff. (Probably quicker as you won't be gluing joints). My company gets through about 20KM's of steel pipe a year and I am blessed to have IMHO some of the best conduit engineers available working for me. HOWEVER, having just completed a job where, had we been able to simply cut into existing conduit in situ and make off with a push fit would have saved probably 40% of the total labour time. Regarding some of the narrow-minded posts I've seen here.........I too made my first "running coupler" over 30 years ago but don't feel the need to be pompus and dismissive.

Mr IOW, can you please PM me and give me the details of where to get these couplers. I will throw a few at the lads and see what they think. I might even try a continuity test (if I can remember how). Maybe I'll come back and share my findings.

Soooo.... this is quite a bodacious claim that you can rattle up metal conduit as quick as the PVC stuff. (Probably quicker as you won't be gluing joints). My company gets through about 20KM's of steel pipe a year and I am blessed to have IMHO some of the best conduit engineers available working for me. HOWEVER, having just completed a job where, had we been able to simply cut into existing conduit in situ and make off with a push fit would have saved probably 40% of the total labour time. Regarding some of the narrow-minded posts I've seen here.........I too made my first "running coupler" over 30 years ago but don't feel the need to be pompus and dismissive.

Mr IOW, can you please PM me and give me the details of where to get these couplers. I will throw a few at the lads and see what they think. I might even try a continuity test (if I can remember how). Maybe I'll come back and share my findings.

That seems to be rather un-impressive quote as I don't think anyone claimed that on the thread.

So what narrow minded posts are you referring too?? Have you read this thread through even?? I ask because no-one has mentioned the claim your putting forward here!!!

That must have been a small conduit job, if you would have saved 40% in total labour time using these push-fit couplers. So your company gets through 20 km of conduit a year, that's far more than the average smaller sized company or the many one man bands that are around. But in the bigger scheme of things that's not a large quantity to get through in the course of a year for any decent sized company. The project i'm working on now the main electrical contractor will no doubt be ordering the 3 smaller sized conduits in 1000's of metres at a time...

One more thing, although i probably have far more respect for conduit installers than most here, they are not by any stretch of the imagination ''engineers''!!! They can however be worth there weight in gold on the right project, and can command pay rates reflecting that worth...

They are a load of rubbish and its been brought up on the forum before. I was on a hospital job and the electrical company were to use them for existing conduits in walls but we were having to hide the little screw so the main contractor wouldn't see them. Agree with previous posts about them not being rigid! Some plumbing is push fit do we really need this in our trade? I'd like to think not!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

They are a load of rubbish and its been brought up on the forum before. I was on a hospital job and the electrical company were to use them for existing conduits in walls but we were having to hide the little screw so the main contractor wouldn't see them. Agree with previous posts about them not being rigid! Some plumbing is push fit do we really need this in our trade? I'd like to think not

To be fair, the link that Lenny posted , is for Push-Fit couplers with no set screws involved.
But still can't see how push-fit metal to metal can achieve an IP 67 rating... Still waiting for Mark, or anyone else, to post a link to the manufacturers website...

Not sure if these are the same couplings that the O/P was referring too in that post?? ....

Quick Connect Conduit Coupler - 20mm Push-fit - QVS Electrical Supplies | Electrical Wholesaler

Des black Japan for Pyro ...............brass round heads every time

As far as i can remember, it was usually black Jap round head screws, on PVC covered MICC with PVC coated clips. On bare MICC and uncoated clips, brass round heads.....

Nothing wrong in using the brass round head screws every time mind. ...Some were a bit on the weak side, and heads sheared off at the slightest over tightening... lol!!!

Oh dear,

I received an "infraction" for my last post!
Okay, here is the polite version.

Thank you Mr IOW for bothering to share information. I feel that I have made a worth while discovery and this might in some way improve the way my company works.

Mr 57. I did not realise I have to qualify the extent and type of work my company performs to you. You seem to be making certain "assumptions" bassed on conjecture to somehow improve your credibility. I would be most interested to learn the motivation behind this?
I entered the figure for the amount of conduit my company used last year as a guide for anyone who was "genuinely" interested in this thread, as I believe it would be of more interest to larger contractors than smaller concerns. The narrow mindedness that I refer to is the users who have openly dismissed this product without trying it, and then using that foothold as an excuse to wallow in some supercilious nobility at being a quailfied electrician! If this product allows a 9 year old to make a running coupler in 20 seconds so be it. We are not dealing in witchcraft here!
As an electrician and director of a successful contracting business it is good to be open to innovation. From what I have witnessed here today I see that I have nothing in common with the majority of users and will probably not be contributing again. I fully intend to buy and "road test" this product so if anyone is interested in how it performs in the hands of "seasoned professionals you are welcome to PM me.

Harry out!

Reply to Threadless Conduit Couplers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back