Currently reading:
tips on bending awkard angles on steel conduit.

Discuss tips on bending awkard angles on steel conduit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
conduit.jpg

I have to bend some steel conduit as shown in the picture about how would you get the angles spot on? The picture isnt really accurate as i belive the 2 sets will be similar. doing it another way isnt an option as thats how the client wants it too look like. the black opject is a wall support. and the yellow squares are light fittings .

I haven't done much steel conduit work in the past. The guy i asked to help struggled doing this too and gave up lol. W'ere going to try again tomorrow.

Back to subject... what size conduit is/was it?

I was taught a useful trick that seems to work very well with 20mm only...

...about with the conduit in the bender, measuring from the former (?) (the bit where the conduit bends around) end with one of those tiny tape measures. It tends to get the bends just about right - give or take 5mm.

Sorry, probably not a very good description.

I think the trick was something like:

Hold the tape under the tube, and if you wanted a bend 600mm from end to inside of bend, you would align the end of the tube at 600 on the tape, and push the tube and tape into the former such as the tape was underneath, and the tape tab got stopped where the tube and former meet.

Though I don't recall it being that simple, you had to add a distance for back of bend, or centre of bend.

measure the tube to back of bend and mark. insert tube into bender so that the bit youve measured is poking towards the back of the bender. pull the handle over and put the tube under a little tensuion. Now line up your mark with the front curved edge of the bender, usinmg a square. Now bend and check bend with a square.
If the bit youre bending down is too long or has a set on ect, then put that end towards the back of the bender, then deduct 2.5x Od from your back of bend measurement.

This method works spot on every time.

Reply to tips on bending awkard angles on steel conduit. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock