Currently reading:
what do i need to be update

Discuss what do i need to be update in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

returnsparky

hello am new to this forum so hello everyone.

i am seeking advice to do with new regulations and what i require and can i carry out work.

Bit background, on leaving school i spent year at techinical college starting engineering apprentischip, first semster was spent doing fitting skills, lave work, welding sheet metal work and electrical wiring.

after first semseter was required to specalise, i specalsied in electrical which included domestic wiring of lights, sockets, cooker, spur sockets, and shower fitting this was done in twin earth, two wiring techinques were used one with junction boxs, and one without (just ceiling roses).

sockets were both done as ring main and radail circuits.

final test was given floor plan of house and asked to design, re wire, and calculate cable sizes, and cheapest possible plan draw design up with all calculations. Then wire equipment up as required and test all the circuits in line with 16 the edition.

all this was repeated with pyro, plastic conduit, tray work and trunking.

EITB skill sheets were obtained and certificated where EITB.

after this landed job on railway as apprentice, installed lights in stations and sockets and other work involving maintenance work.

then speaclised as lift engineer for three years, and did year in office designing and planning small lighting and socket circuits for new build stations.

so i obtained 16th edition, EITB certifictes in installation and maintenace.

my question is this was 15 years ago now, my sister has house that needs re wiring before she can rent it out, she has asked me to do this which i know how to do, but what would i need to qualification wise to carry out the work or is not possiblel for me to do this work as my qualifications are out date.

i also have btec onc hnc in electrical and electronic engineering and degree in same subject.

You need only to be competent to carry out Electrical work, so in reality you need absolutely no qualification to re-wire your sisters house.

You will though by law have to declare to your local building Control what your intentions are and that is before you start any work. Once you have informed them and completed relevant paperwork, which may include plans of the rewire you will be charged a fee. Once all this is done you will receive a building warrant to start the work.

The council will then advice you on the process of the rewire, ie you will complete the first fix and that will be inspected, once it passes you can then carry on with the 2nd fix and after you have finished, the installation will be tested by the council.

As you don't have the 17th edition or a working knowledge of the building Regs I would recommend you buy this or something similar

The Electrician's Guide to the 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations and Part P of the Building Regulations 1st Edition: Amazon.co.uk: John Whitfield, not applicable: Books

bear in mind that the process is slightly different if you are in ireland or scotland. part p only applies in england and wales.

oh right am suprised, well think might do then as it save me sister some money hopefully, might go enrol and do 17th edition at local college so i got it anyway. am in England so it applies. Is it possible to do part P as well is all theory or does it include pratical.

You can do a part P course which to be honest is a waste of time. There is no qualification it would just be a 1 day course telling you where to drill holes in joists, when you need to fit exhausts into bathrooms etc and all this can be gleaned from books available, and at 10th of the price.

Hi,
WRT:

17th Edition (BS 7671) and C&G 2391-20 design and verification, spring to mind.

I would check with your local college with regards to the 2391-20 as where I did it would not let you do it unless you had the 2391-10 testing and inspection as this part of the design course was not taught as by having the testing and inspection qual it gave you an exemption and thus cut down on the course length.

Reply to what do i need to be update in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock