Discuss What should I be charging as a domestic job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys. It would be really useful to run this past you and get a consensus/input from you for what would be a realistic amount to charge for an upcoming job I've been offered.

I've been asked to quote for a private job, and I'm stuck with what to charge. Most of the stock will be supplied and the rest I've got on the van - so it's only labour really.

There's a double bedroom that's currently being redecorated and it backs onto the hallway, where the board is. My plan is to run a new circuit from the board - the floorboards will be lifted and skirting boards removed.
It will be a 20A radial circuit feeding three internal double sockets which I will chase into the walls, and also one exterior IP-rated double socket.

I'm employed as a commercial sparky through a company, so I do very little private work and am a bit out of touch with pricing! What would you charge?

Thanks all.

EDIT: Sorry if it's in the wrong place, new to the forum!

Last edited:
Before you start the job, are you employed by the company. And if so is your company going to insurance you for the work. Part p the work has you know and all the chap to go with it.

Your location is stated as 'UK'. An average rate could be anywhere from £20/hr to £100/hr+, depending on exact location.
I'm in Dorset.
Would be good to get a rough range of what you guys might charge for this - obviously London/SE is going to be more and other areas slightly less, but I suppose an average across the board would be useful.

Domestic is my wheelhouse, Now normally for small jobs I would charge £95p/h if its a small job that I havent seen and am going in blind 'on call' with no idea what I might have to do...

But if yor job is planned as in you have customers materials on-site ready to install and you know exactly what you are up against and knowing for certain you can do it in one day and not have to make repeat visits. £500 all-in

With all materials supplied, four sockets @ £70 per point = £280.00 with no complications or making good.

Three boxes to chase. No floor boards to lift and all materials supplied (no warranty to worry about on those), so I'd say you're closer than anyone else to the price for this labour only job as it's not in the south east and shouldn't take more than half a day. Simpler again would be quoting an hourly rate and a rough estimate of time to do the job, with the usual caveat to cover the unexpected.

3 interal sockets to Re-wire under the floor / fish through a stud , chase & fix boxes and 2nd pix could easily set you back 3-4 hours by the time you get all your stuff out the van. then run cable to outside socket and 2nd fix about an hour. Fit new RCBO in bord and testing / cert again about an hour added By the time you have fully clean up and pack away you could be looking at a 6 hours job.
I personally would be booking out a day in my diary and charging for that day at £500 which is my standard day rate for domestic.

that is why 1/2 day (5hour) jobs really need to be billed for a full day. all this just charging a 1/2 days labour is folly. book a day out in your diary and charge for the day. if you finish by 2pm then great just go gome and clean the van out and sort stuff for tomorrows job.

Do you really work a ten hour day? unheard of by most domestic tradesmen. 🥴
Ive done 14 hours .Been well paid and happy about it . But once its more than 3 hours of a day .... you might have lost the chance to fit another job in .So they are not paying you JUST for their work but also a % of "missed opportunity " etc

Reply to What should I be charging as a domestic job? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net