Currently reading:
Which voltage tester is best for a apprentice

Discuss Which voltage tester is best for a apprentice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Purely for voltage testing, I would also say the Martindale VI13700/G Voltage Detector. Never goes faulty and so easy to use.

Apparantly Megger are also bringing out a range of different 2 pole voltage testers in January. Considering their normal standards that might be worth looking out for...

Only thing wrong with T5 is having to switch on/off etc. The T120 is a cheaper starter meter. The martindale 4 neon doesn't have continuity which I think you will find usefull.

The Fluke tester is good, you might want to check this one out from Milwaukee.

Its got a few advantages over the Fluke in that it reads up to 200a, measures temprature and has a built in torch and Volt detector.

Used my brand new Di-log a couple of times and the LCD display is very dim, almost as if the "battery" is low.

Anyone else have this trouble or do i need to send it back?

Ta. :D

Seaward VT800D for me has digital readout for voltage AND resistance as well as buzzer and a LED.
Hi mate, how do you rate this? Does it trip RCD,s when testing directly accross L & PE like the Flukes seem to do (if you don't test accross L & N first). Sorry to sound geeky but are the leads plastic or slightly rubbery? Only ask as I am desperate for a new Voltage meter as I hate having to use the selection dial on my Fluke T5 and am just after something I can turn on and use for all features with auto selection.

Hi Eskimo39,

I like this tester have had it for several years now and all I have had to replace are batts. It will however trip the RCD's as you have described UNLESS you test L and N then within 5 sec L and PE then it won't trip. The display is all LCD and has a rising scale instead of the usual led's and ALSO has a numeric digital readout. Continuity, it will display the actual ohm's reading as well as a yellow LED and buzzer. most others only buzz and have a single LED.
The leads on it are I suppose rubbery i wouldn't say that they were plastic at all not given the price of these things.

You have two buttons on the handle, ones a light for the probes the other is for ohm's readings, that's all the controls it has.

Hope that this has helped you decide.

Cheers,
Lofty.

resize[3].jpg

Hopefully there is a pic of the VT800D above. Not to be confused with the VT800 which is the NON digital version i.e. it has the string of led's.

Cheers,
Lofty

Hi All,
I have it on good authority that the volt probes branded and sold by Newey's are in fact manufactured by the same company that make the Di-log ones i.e. they are the same only possibly a little cheaper ???. they're even yellow like the Di-log ones.

Hi All,
I have it on good authority that the volt probes branded and sold by Newey's are in fact manufactured by the same company that make the Di-log ones i.e. they are the same only possibly a little cheaper ???. they're even yellow like the Di-log ones.

and the Di-Log ones look suspiciously like the flukes ;-)

Reply to Which voltage tester is best for a apprentice in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock