Currently reading:
Attractive Covering For Ceiling Box - USA

Discuss Attractive Covering For Ceiling Box - USA in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dogbob

DIY
Reaction score
I just installed can lights in the ceiling, replacing a hanging light. That leaves me with a live 4" round box in the ceiling. Code won't allow me to conceal it or mud over it. The ceiling is drywall with hand-troweled ripples. What can I do to cover this live box that will look nearly invisible yet still stay within code? For example, do people trowel drywall compound over a cover-plate before screwing it in place? What else do you recommend? Thanks!

I just installed can lights in the ceiling, replacing a hanging light. That leaves me with a live 4" round box in the ceiling. Code won't allow me to conceal it or mud over it. The ceiling is drywall with hand-troweled ripples. What can I do to cover this live box that will look nearly invisible yet still stay within code? For example, do people trowel drywall compound over a cover-plate before screwing it in place? What else do you recommend? Thanks!
They actually make covers for ceiling boxes but you will probably have to go to an electrical parts supplier. They might sell them at Lowes or Home Depot.

Reactions: Dan
Thank you for the tip about commercial box covers. I found plastic and metal ones at HomeDepot. They're not so pretty, but may be the best choice.

Attached is a picture of the box and the surrounding drywall. Unfortunately, the drywall edge is a bit rough around the box.

Attachments

• Ceiling Box.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 3
Thank you for the tip about commercial box covers. I found plastic and metal ones at HomeDepot. They're not so pretty, but may be the best choice.

Attached is a picture of the box and the surrounding drywall. Unfortunately, the drywall edge is a bit rough around the box.
Go to your local electrical supply store because they have more decorative covers which should be large enough to cover the whole box. Good luck

Reply to Attractive Covering For Ceiling Box - USA in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock