Search the forum,

Discuss 18th edition update in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

BRB pp 7

15th

red cover 1981
green cover 1983
yellow 84
blue 86
brown 87, 88

16th

red 91, 92, 92
green 94
yellow 97
blue 2001

17th red

dont they have to cycle through and do amendments before getting new colours out

we should all go on strike and give them a royal red, green, yellow, blue 'kcuf u' to stevenage and tell them we're not having it, even if it is 'Tony Cable' as a sweetener!!!

or dont buy the books nor do the courses!!!

or meebe mek the 'free working' apprentices buy them for us!!! the bar stewards

Last edited by a moderator:
BRB pp 7

15th

red cover 1981
green cover 1983
yellow 84
blue 86
brown 87, 88

16th

red 91, 92, 92
green 94
yellow 97
blue 2001

17th red

dont they have to cycle through and do amendments before getting new colours out

we should all go on strike and give them a royal red, green, yellow, blue 'kcuf u' to stevenage and tell them we're not having it, even if it is 'Tony Cable' as a sweetener!!!

or dont buy the books nor do the courses!!!

or meebe mek the 'free working' apprentices buy them for us!!! the bar stewards

Not that it matters but you forgot Brown (2004.)

Now why do you suppose all these ammendments? ~ It couldn't be that a lot of the times 'improvements' are pushed through without any thought about real world implications?
?
Could it?
?
I won't mention the 15th Edition fiasco with earthing metal window frames! (ok I just did.)
Notice how the 15th Only lasted 10 years & how close the ammendments were; it's similar to the early editions where they were making it up as they go!!:rolleyes: Sometimes I think that it is an exercise in getting your name in print.

The eighteenth is likely to encompass the rest of europe so harmonising us all together. Then where will the IEE be? they will have to answer to Brussels ~ B@!!@x so will we!:(
Still the evidence I'm seeing lately of installation standards; fresh-air bends in conduit etc, we are already at that 'standard'

Yeh yeh I'm a grumpy old man:eek:

hello fellas did any of you attend the elex exibition in coventry last week, i went along to the NICEIC seminar, the big guy him self was there tony cable and he announced tht the 18th edition will be updated 2011 wot do you guys think of this? three years between the last edition unreal:cool:

i done the 17th edition last year and bumped into tutor doing the course,there was a corrigendum(printing error)in july 2008 to which you needed to adjust all the printing errors in big red book,i asked him about an 18th edition to which he replied no,amendment to existing 17th due 2010 ,most probably a reprint so £50-60 for new book i dont expect to have to sit another exam so we can all breath easy for a while,someone mentioned something about iee are not happy with the rcd on lighting circuits,so that is one thing to be changed perhaps,perhaps nic man got a little mixed up he probably meant to say ammendment..

I would love to see some figures relating to deaths from picture hanging nails through cables, especially above light switches :D

This has to be a joke they can stuff try getting some cowboys out the industry first and not keep knocking the ones doing it right talking of doing it right how about try getting 7671 right ?? its full of mistakes do i get a refund ????

The eighteenth is likely to encompass the rest of europe so harmonising us all together. Then where will the IEE be? they will have to answer to Brussels ~ B@!!@x so will we!:(

I thought the 17th had already gone down the harmonisation route with RCD's on everything as they do in europe. Can't understand why people put so much faith in RCD's, I have seen a lot fail on inspections both initial and periodic, and just how many people DO press the test button every 3 months ? or is it just to inconvienent to have to reset all the timeswitches or turn off the Xbox!

I'm not sure how we can harmonise everything throughout europe all the systems and installation methods differ alot. They have been talking about harmonising socket outlets for about 25 years now and I don't see one appearing on the horizon yet

Be it the 18th or a major ammendment to the 17th the one thing we can be certain of it is going to cost us !!!:mad:

I won't mention the 15th Edition fiasco with earthing metal window frames! (ok I just did.)
Notice how the 15th Only lasted 10 years & how close the ammendments were; it's similar to the early editions where they were making it up as they go!!:rolleyes: Sometimes I think that it is an exercise in getting your name in print.

I remember as an apprentice having to earth hundreds of window frames in office blocks!:mad:glad my time was`nt wasted:mad::mad::mad:!

if the 18th comes out in 2011 then it might not be a bad thing for me as my 2330 L3 course finishes in 2011 so we might get updated to the 18th.

but anyways got to love the way our joke of a Goverment keeps finding ways to rip us off with BS qualification courses

i'm currently studying towrds my 2330 lvl 2 and will be going onto my lvl 3 next sept When in 2011 will they bring out the 18th if they do it at all?

Not in 2011 anyway!:confused:

What's all this talk of the 18th Edition in 2011? It's simply the first amendment to the 17th Edition which is due.

Hi
Could anyone tell me if there is any 17th Edition Amendments my regs book was brought when the 17th Edition was first brought in.

Thanks

The was a corrigedum brought out not long after the 17th first came out but that was basically to replace some errors not picked up during the proof reading.

Page not found - The IET

Last edited:
No ammendments yet but, they are on the way.:rolleyes:

They are indeed, as of next year although not sure what sort of time.

Stuff on surge protection in section 4, and lots of new fang dangly stuff in section 7 covering medical locations... I think there is going to be stuff about micro-generation too, but I could be wrong as I kind of drifted off after a while. The two mentioned earlier are going to be the big changes, and apparently there will be around another 50 pages to the regs!!

I don't think I could carry around an extra 50 pages in my regs book, so I think I'll just get a new book to keep it all neat. I hope it's blue, :)

Reply to 18th edition update in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back