Discuss 220 volt, three phase element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 3 phase element for a steam generator but the element is a 220 volt element. the diagram is in Chinese which i cant read. on the diagram it shows three phase delta connection for 380v and three phase star connection for 220 volt with a neutral connected to the star point. My question is can I connect the three phase as is to the element meaning there will be 230v phase to neutral and 400 phase to phase or does the voltage need to be stepped down to 110 volt phase to neutral and 230 volt phase to phase ?

Attachments

• 20220822_101759.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 20
I don't read Chinese either but my initial reaction is that the text showing the alternative element configurations says something like 'for 220V elements connect in star' and 'for 380V elements connect in delta' and that in both cases the supply is taken to be 220/380. You could check the voltage of the control components which would be 220V as they are connected L-N without a transformer.

If the options were for different supplies using the same elements, the voltages on the sketches would be the other way round, i.e. for 380V supply connect in star and for 220V supply connect in delta, but then there would be some provision for adjusting the control supply like a 0-220-380V transformer.

On 400V the element output will be increased by 10% and on 415 by 20%. Normally 380V equipment is OK up to 415 but if it's not conservatively designed it can get a bit warm.

There are online OCR translators that can process images of Chinese text reasonably well, but usually need to be signed up for.

Top line of the drawing, it can even convert the image translation into English text

header text.PNG

header text.translated(1).jpg

Coverted to text from picture,

Fully automatic electric heating steam generator three-phase (four-wire) power type wiring diagram

I don't read Chinese either but my initial reaction is that the text showing the alternative element configurations says something like 'for 220V elements connect in star' and 'for 380V elements connect in delta' and that in both cases the supply is taken to be 220/380. You could check the voltage of the control components which would be 220V as they are connected L-N without a transformer.

If the options were for different supplies using the same elements, the voltages on the sketches would be the other way round, i.e. for 380V supply connect in star and for 220V supply connect in delta, but then there would be some provision for adjusting the control supply like a 0-220-380V transformer.

On 400V the element output will be increased by 10% and on 415 by 20%. Normally 380V equipment is OK up to 415 but if it's not conservatively designed it can get a bit warm.

There are online OCR translators that can process images of Chinese text reasonably well, but usually need to be signed up for.
yes its got me a bit confused as it seems to be opposite to electric motors which ive always had to connect in delta with a 230V supply and star with a 400V supply... my concern is whether each coil will have 230V across it with the neutral in place or if it will be 400V

Yes the crux appears to be this dwg tells you how to use two types of element with different voltage ratings on the same supply, but with motors it's usually telling you how to use the same motor on two different supply voltages. Anything connected L-N will see 230V on a 400/230V system.

Reply to 220 volt, three phase element in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net