Search the forum,

Discuss 3 X single phase showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

After a bit of digging I'm thinking this will be appropriate for unbalanced loads of a resistive nature ?

Edit: image of formula won't show

This would give the following
1 shower on - N current = line current
2 showers on - N current = just slightly less than line current, but near enough.

This is turning into a bit of a revision session for me so please correct me if I'm wrong.

If, you’ve stopped posting for a bit, I’ll try to explain.
25mm2 is over sized for 100A to allow for imbalances.
The outgoing circuits from the 3 phase board may all be single phase, 3phase or a mixture of both.
The conductors for each outgoing circuit should be sized appropriately.
When the neutral current from phase L1 gets back to the board, it can now use the L2 neutral conductor to flow to the L2 phase, and the neutral current from the L2 phase can use the L3 neutral conductor to flow to the L3 phase, etc.

So once the neutral currents get back to a single point, they can then start to balance themselves out.

In the OP’s situation, there is a very good chance that the 3 showers will not be used at the same time.
However there is a chance that 2 will be used at the same time.
If only 1 or 2 are used, the neutral currents will not be able to balance out.
If all 3 are used at the same time, they will balance out.
As such you need to size the neutral conductor to handle up to 2 lots of current.

Utter nonsense, where on earth did you get this from?

With simplevresistive loads like these showers the neutral current will be at its highest when only one phase is loaded where it will be equal to the loaded phase. any load on one or both of the other two phases will reduce the neutral current.

Can anyone who thinks that the Neutral cable from a 3 phase DB, whether the DB has all 3ph loads or a mixture or all single phase, has any possibility of having to carry more than the load on any 1 phase then please show the rest of us non believers where 4 core S.W.A with a larger neutral cable can be found or identify the reg prohibiting the use of 4 (equal) core SWA to a 3 ph D.B.

Yes we would have triple pole boards with neutral supply conductors ten times the size of the lines.

Hi - I now think 30A for 1, 30A for 2 and 0A for 3. From the vector diagram of the currents, have all 3 running, then turn one off (the dashed line), what is the result? A 30A vector at 60 degrees (the dotted line).

IMG_1200.JPG

Crikey, it's a long time since I saw so much gibberish condensed into one thread. Reminds me of a nursery rhyme;
Up and down the single phase
In and out of the neutral
That's the way the current goes
Pop! goes the cable.

The neutral current will never exceed the highest line current provided the loads have either unity power factor (as in this case, with resistive heating in the showers), or a non-unity power factor caused by phase displacement only, similar on all phases. In practice, with a mixed load it is very unlikely that the neutral current will ever reach the circuit rated current.

The neutral current can easily exceed the actual line current with phase-angle controlled loads such as dimmed tungsten lighting. The waveform distortion introduces a third-harmonic component which adds in the neutral rather than cancelling. Also any assymmetry, such as half-wave rectification, can produce additive harmonics. If the harmonic distortion is severe, and can take place when the line currents are at maximum, then the neutral conductor may need to be larger than the lines.

Reply to 3 X single phase showers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net