Discuss £500 Budget Which Test Equipment & Where? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Hi im thinking about starting up my own business but first i need to buy some test equipment, ive been looking on the internet but cant decided which is the best for me.

Ill mainly be doing Domestic work to start with.

Can you still test Zs with loop testers that trip RCDS? As im not too bothered about the inconvienece of keep resetting the RCD.

Also i see quite afew testers that dont carry out the PFC/PSCC test, why is this? And if i bought a tester without this function how would i test for this? I thought you had to carry out this test on a new installation?

Many Thanks.

Hi im thinking about starting up my own business but first i need to buy some test equipment, ive been looking on the internet but cant decided which is the best for me.

Ill mainly be doing Domestic work to start with.

Can you still test Zs with loop testers that trip RCDS? As im not too bothered about the inconvienece of keep resetting the RCD.

Also i see quite afew testers that dont carry out the PFC/PSCC test, why is this? And if i bought a tester without this function how would i test for this? I thought you had to carry out this test on a new installation?

Many Thanks.

I would stick with either megger 1552/1553 or fluke 1653b (I think that's the fluke, I personally use a megger but they pretty much do the same job)

The pefc and pscc test on a megger :
Put the meter on loop (high)

One lead on live one lead on earth - test
One lead on live one lead on neutral - test

The highest Is your pfc. There is no specific setting for either one. What test meter did you use at college???

And if the RCD trips then your Zs reading will not complete therefore you won't have a reading. These are fairly basic test procedures. After all, I'm only an apprentice

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies i do like the Megger and Fluke models which you have stated but they seem abit out of my budget, £600 -700.

I cant remember now mate it was 8 years ago, the company that i used to work for, their meter has a pscc setting, so just wondered how people test pscc without a setting on their meters.

Mogga ( a member on here ) had a 1553 for sale for £300 I nearly sold it for him but the person went for a 1720 (which I advised him not to lol)
Give him a message and see if he still has it. I bought a 1553b which is the same but just with Bluetooth for £400 and it's been fantastic.

Reply to £500 Budget Which Test Equipment & Where? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net