Discuss adding test procedures to the NEC code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A ground rod is required at every service entrance if no UFER (concerte rebar) is present. Even if the supply is TN-S, a ground rod is still driven. Only 1, and if over 25ohms 2 and thats it. Low ground rod Zs are not a requirment in the NEC. Perhaps a job spec but its not considered an issue even if 2 ground rods are 10,000ohms. as long as the grounding system has 2 then everything is all set.

What clears a fault in the NEC is a required link from the neutral to the grounding system (bonding jumper) at the supply transformer or service. The ground rod is not considered in earth fault loop impedance, even though required by code. Once an appropriate bonding jumper is in place, it is this that provides a low earth fault loop impedance to trip a breaker. All installations are like this in the NEC. TT earthing is never allowed. IT is in some cases but limited.

So are you saying that the only N-E link on the supply distribution service cable , is at the Transformer, do you not have N-E links to ground rods at intervals on service poles or at underground cable joints?? Apart from the N-E link via the installation ground rod to the MET

So really, you have no idea of the Ze or even the Zs value, you just assume the breakers will trip in the presence of a fault, because you have installed a jumper between L-E , is that what you're saying?? No earth loop impedance testing is ever carried out??

Here is on video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZC782SzAQ

Short version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn4az8EuNO0

So if a correctly installed TT system is provided with say a Ra value of 1 ohm or under it wouldn't be allowed to provide an installations means of earthing with that TT system?? That's just about the daftest thing i've heard. You can't beat a stable sub 1 ohm TT earthing system.

What do you do earthing wise for a say a substantial IT installation where the last thing they will want to see is the always present detrimental noise etc from a network earthing system in this case from the combined neutral conductor. Also how do you carry the substantial leakage currents that can/will be seen on the IT connected distribution earthing system? Do you not provide for a (for want of a better description) a clean/isolated low resistance TT earth system?? Please don't say you supply IT buildings/installations with a TNC-S earthing system??

So if a correctly installed TT system is provided with say a Ra value of 1 ohm or under it wouldn't be allowed to provide an installations means of earthing with that TT system??

Not under the NEC. Here in the US getting a stable one ohm through soil is difficult. And even if you could, a lot more material is involved. And then having to test that ground rod is more money.

That's just about the daftest thing i've heard. You can't beat a stable sub 1 ohm TT earthing system.

Why would a TT system be better than a single 5 cents (5/100 of a Euro) piece of copper wire to bond the neutral to ground from an earth fault perspective?

What do you do earthing wise for a say a substantial IT installation where the last thing they will want to see is the always present detrimental noise etc from a network earthing system in this case from the combined neutral conductor. Also how do you carry the substantial leakage currents that can/will be seen on the IT connected distribution earthing system? Do you not provide for a (for want of a better description) a clean/isolated low resistance TT earth system?? Please don't say you supply IT buildings/installations with a TNC-S earthing system??

Well, if the power company (network operator) provides an IT supply, only 3 wires are delivered. NO PE or N. The grounding system is done exactly like a TN system with 2 ground rods and all metal parts bonded together; with the only differencing being no phase or N bonded to the grounding system. Code requires a ground detector in this case. It may be as simple as 3 light bulbs or indicators connected in wye and then bonded to the grounding system. When a phase grounds down one bulb goes out, the other 2 brighten. Newer systems that require service continuity are high impedance earthed where the XO is bonded to the grounding system with a high ohmic resistor. The resistor helps limit voltage rises above 1.73 times the phase to neutral voltage from arcing ground faults.

If an IT system is created within the structure an isolation transformer is used. The TN-S system ground is connected to the IT system ground.

Not under the NEC. Here in the US getting a stable one ohm through soil is difficult. And even if you could, a lot more material is involved. And then having to test that ground rod is more money.

In some areas i can quite agree with you, it can be difficult and expensive, but in others it'll not be too difficult at all, it's the same anywhere in the world.

Testing is a fundemental requirement to any and ALL electrical installations, and everything doesn't always come down to cost...

Why would a TT system be better than a single 5 cents (5/100 of a Euro) piece of copper wire to bond the neutral to ground from an earth fault perspective?

Well if you're an electrician you should know Why. One very important advantage is that the control of that earthing system is not under the network operators control, another is that all risks of the effects of a Networks broken or high resistance neutral is eliminated.

Well, if the power company (network operator) provides an IT supply, only 3 wires are delivered. NO PE or N. The grounding system is done exactly like a TN system with 2 ground rods and all metal parts bonded together; with the only differencing being no phase or N bonded to the grounding system. Code requires a ground detector in this case. It may be as simple as 3 light bulbs or indicators connected in wye and then bonded to the grounding system. When a phase grounds down one bulb goes out, the other 2 brighten. Newer systems that require service continuity are high impedance earthed where the XO is bonded to the grounding system with a high ohmic resistor. The resistor helps limit voltage rises above 1.73 times the phase to neutral voltage from arcing ground faults.

I think you have misunderstood what i meant by ''IT'' here, i meant a building or installation where say main frame computer/communication networking or other substantial electronic installations are involved as the main loading.... Not from say an IT transformer supply, similar to what you would find in medical operating rooms....

If an IT system is created within the structure an isolation transformer is used. The TN-S system ground is connected to the IT system ground.

Apart from say a mining operation, i can't see an IT system (double fault) being used as the primary supply system anywhere, ships maybe, but i have no experience in that sector of the industry.

Isolation transformers are often used in large UPS systems where the load is primarily computers and the like and go a long way in isolating a networks inherent noise/spikes etc from the sensitive loads, but you would still need a clean or dedicated earth path to the sensitive loads.

This is why TT is not allowed in the US and requires RCD breaker in the IEC:

http://www.mikeholt.com/instructor2/img/product/sample/1080685011.jpg

Please explain why a stable sub 1 ohm TT system would ever need an often unreliable RCD back-up breaker??

In the UK/EU 30mA RCD earth fault protection to final circuits is needed for TT systems because of the high maximum Ra's stipulated, that are frankly useless to man nor beast. But then unlike the US where 8'-10' 5/8-3/4'' earth rods are the norm, they use non-extendable 1.2m 3/8'' twigs that they have the audacity to call earth electrodes!! ..lol!!

In some areas i can quite agree with you, it can be difficult and expensive, but in others it'll not be too difficult at all, it's the same anywhere in the world.

I agree, but not entirely. How do you know a stable 1 ohm will exist all year round? Lets say I did get 0.5 ohms on the day of testing, how will I know I have 0.5 ohms 3 years from now? What is the earth connection corrodes? Becomes disconnected? Its outside around wet soil. At some point adding extra ground rods becomes more expensive than a bonding jumper (TN-C) or running an earth wire to the transformer's neutral terminal (TN-S).

Testing is a fundemental requirement to any and ALL electrical installations, and everything doesn't always come down to cost...

I absolutely agree, testing is essential and money should not dictate. However, I would rather see all those efforts of testing done on the inside electrical and the structural earthing/bonding system of the home itself. Seeing how much or how little resistance ground rods have is pointless. They do not change how an electrical system operates, and when you have TN-C and TN-S they are utterly useless 99.99% of the time. In fact, in the NEC when a UFER is present you can ditch the ground rods. When it comes to lightning protection they offer some help, but IMO I don't not believe resistance matters all that much compared to the incredible amount of energy a lightning strike gives off, in fact Id think bigger concerns would exist.

Far more essential to life safety and property is not earth electrodes but equal potential bonding within the structure. Consider an open neutral in TN-C. Earthing electrodes will not make any difference. In fact that stable one ohm will go up as the rod drys out passing current. What protects will be having everything within the structure at the same potential. Earthing (outside of TT) has little to do with soil resistance and everything to do with bonding: maintaining equal potential and opening a breaker.

Well if you're an electrician you should know Why. One very important advantage is that the control of that earthing system is not under the network operators control, another is that all risks of the effects of a Networks broken or high resistance neutral is eliminated.

But why would you rely on DNOs earthing system? Even in TN-S, a customer must (at least in the NEC) have everything bonded together within the structure and earth wires to all sockets. Even if the network gave you a good equal potential earth wire, you must still establish an equal potential system within the structure. And in both TN-C and TN-S a network operator must make sure a low Z exists on the wire between your consumer unit and their transformer neutral for fault clearing purposes. Perhaps this is where my understanding of BS7671 dwindles, but could you clarify please what you mean by relying on network operators earthing system?

You do have a very valid concern though, if the neutral broke in TN-C-S consumer unit, everything will be energized 230 volts to remote earth. If everything is bonded within the structure including the flooring voltage between human contact points will be minimal (why equal potential is so essential, the absolute basis of earthing systems imo). However relative to remote earth 230 volts will be lethal and a fire hazard exists since anything in contact with soil will carry current. TT wins this case hands down. TT also has lower magnetic fields since no current is placed on earth or metal objects like TN-C-S.

However, several disadvantages emerges. An RCD can fail, and earth electrodes can be compromised. Also, my understanding is that the main breaker must break the neutral conductor (at least per IEC standards) since a un-bonded neutral (not connected to the premises earthing system) may be many volts relative to the premises wiring system from voltage drop between the consumer unit and DNO's supply transformer. As a result, my neutral is no longer a guaranteed 0 volts at the service or branch circuits. In theory, in order not to get shocked, in some cases, I would need to break the neutral in addition to the hot when changing a socket or light fitting.

I think you have misunderstood what i meant by ''IT'' here, i meant a building or installation where say main frame computer/communication networking or other substantial electronic installations are involved as the main loading.... Not from say an IT transformer supply, similar to what you would find in medical operating rooms....

My misunderstanding, sorry :(

Apart from say a mining operation, i can't see an IT system (double fault) being used as the primary supply system anywhere, ships maybe, but i have no experience in that sector of the industry.

Critical process manufacturing, emergency circuits, Hospital critical care, basically anywhere supply is critical or low phase to ground fault current are desired.

Isolation transformers are often used in large UPS systems where the load is primarily computers and the like and go a long way in isolating a networks inherent noise/spikes etc from the sensitive loads, but you would still need a clean or dedicated earth path to the sensitive loads.

Here the thing, if the system has no wiring errors you do not need a dedicated earth path. TN-S is sufficient for a data center. Ground rods make little difference. When a ground fault occurs on a TN-S system it begins to have the magnetic properties of a TN-C systems since current will flow on metal parts. You loose the equal potential reference between any earth point in addition to inductive 50/60hz magnetic fields being present everywhere that current flows. Both wreck havoc among electronic equipment. RCDs or at least testing the system for any earth faults produces very quiet grounds.

Isolated grounding in the USA only came form that misunderstood concept. In the USA RCDs are nonexistent so many buildings have standing neutral to ground faults.

My 2 cents. :)

I agree, but not entirely. How do you know a stable 1 ohm will exist all year round? Lets say I did get 0.5 ohms on the day of testing, how will I know I have 0.5 ohms 3 years from now? What is the earth connection corrodes? Becomes disconnected? Its outside around wet soil. At some point adding extra ground rods becomes more expensive than a bonding jumper (TN-C) or running an earth wire to the transformer's neutral terminal (TN-S).

1/ Any ground drying out or freezing will at most only affect the first metre, it's extremely rare for a 3m/10' or deeper rod to be affected to the extent of no longer being able to provide a sufficient low resistance earth path, to protect the installation it's connected to under a fault conditions.
2/ A driven earth rod will actually improve over the 1st year of installation as the soil around it consolidates around the rod. Maybe after 30 years you may find a bit of deterioration, but only if the soil make-up has a corrosive element. All earth conductor connections to rods should be protected if they are of the bolted/mechanical type connection, usually with two or three layers of amalgamating tape. What's the chances of a bolted or exothermic weld connection becoming disconnected, ...near Zero!!
3/ Now that is something i wouldn't even think of considering to do. I don't know what the DNO's are like in the States, but in the UK (or anywhere else i can think of) they wouldn't take interfering with a TX's neutral-earth point too kindly, to say the least....

I absolutely agree, testing is essential and money should not dictate. However, I would rather see all those efforts of testing done on the inside electrical and the structural earthing/bonding system of the home itself. Seeing how much or how little resistance ground rods have is pointless. They do not change how an electrical system operates, and when you have TN-C and TN-S they are utterly useless 99.99% of the time. In fact, in the NEC when a UFER is present you can ditch the ground rods. When it comes to lightning protection they offer some help, but IMO I don't not believe resistance matters all that much compared to the incredible amount of energy a lightning strike gives off, in fact Id think bigger concerns would exist.

1/ External and internal parts of an electrical installation warrants the same degree of testing, in fact the external side of things will often dictate the safety of the whole installation. What do you mean by pointless?? A decent 0.5 - 1 ohm TT system is Far from pointless it is in many cases better than is seen on a TN-S system and probably better than some of your TNC-S supplies if they don't have sufficient N-E links along the supply line....
2/How do you think the DNO maintain a low Ze level on a TNC-S supply if they don't N-E link with earth rod(s) at intervals along the supply lines??
3/ I'm not saying and never said you NEED to employ a TT system be it rods ,Ufer, tape etc when a TNC-S or TN-S supply is available...
4/ What do you mean by ground rods offer ''Some'' help on a Lightning Protection system?? It's the ''ONLY'' protection that an LP system is based and relies on. So where do you think all that incredible amount of energy is going to go without those ground electrodes then?? More to the point what would you think would happen with that incredible amount of energy without those rods being in place??

Far more essential to life safety and property is not earth electrodes but equal potential bonding within the structure
. Consider an open neutral in TN-C. Earthing electrodes will not make any difference. In fact that stable one ohm will go up as the rod drys out passing current. What protects will be having everything within the structure at the same potential. Earthing (outside of TT) has little to do with soil resistance and everything to do with bonding: maintaining equal potential and opening a breaker.

1/ Main earthing and main bonding are two completely different animals each having it's own task. They are also of equal importance.
2/ I'm afraid you are Wrong a good earth electrode connected to the MET will indeed make a difference, while not entirely removing the danger it will reduce considerably the voltage potential...
Sorry, but you're wrong again soil resistance has everything to do with a TT system!! Do you not think that any extraneous earthing brought into a property via metallic water, gas, or oil services pipework will not also help a TT system just as much or as little as it will a TN earthing system?? The fact is, Bonded services (equipotential zone) should not be considered as part of the fault path for tripping breakers

But why would you rely on DNOs earthing system? Even in TN-S, a customer must (at least in the NEC) have everything bonded together within the structure and earth wires to all sockets. Even if the network gave you a good equal potential earth wire, you must still establish an equal potential system within the structure. And in both TN-C and TN-S a network operator must make sure a low Z exists on the wire between your consumer unit and their transformer neutral for fault clearing purposes. Perhaps this is where my understanding of BS7671 dwindles, but could you clarify please what you mean by relying on network operators earthing system?

1/ So what else do you rely on if they are providing a TN earthing point??
2/ Again you do NOT rely on the main bonding conductors (extraneous earthing) to provide a fault path to trip breakers, that is not what they are intended for....
3/ Exactly that, you are relying on a network operators earthing point when provided. The problem you have in the US is that you don't test anything. How many electricians in the States own a Earth loop Impedance tester?? Virtually none, so you have no idea what the Ze or the Zs of an installation is. The NEC doesn't call for any testing, apart from ground rods , so none get's done. Every electrician in the UK and Europe owns either a MFT (multifunction tester) or a set of separate testers to test Insulation Resistance, ELI, RCD's of most types, Voltage, etc....

You do have a very valid concern though, if the neutral broke in TN-C-S consumer unit, everything will be energized 230 volts to remote earth. If everything is bonded within the structure including the flooring voltage between human contact points will be minimal (why equal potential is so essential, the absolute basis of earthing systems imo). However relative to remote earth 230 volts will be lethal and a fire hazard exists since anything in contact with soil will carry current. TT wins this case hands down. TT also has lower magnetic fields since no current is placed on earth or metal objects like TN-C-S.

However, several disadvantages emerges. An RCD can fail, and earth electrodes can be compromised. Also, my understanding is that the main breaker must break the neutral conductor (at least per IEC standards) since a un-bonded neutral (not connected to the premises earthing system) may be many volts relative to the premises wiring system from voltage drop between the consumer unit and DNO's supply transformer. As a result, my neutral is no longer a guaranteed 0 volts at the service or branch circuits. In theory, in order not to get shocked, in some cases, I would need to break the neutral in addition to the hot when changing a socket or light fitting.

1/ On small installations such as domestics we use DP isolators rather than a main breaker. On a TT system it is prudent to use an upfront 100mA time delayed RCD to compensate for a 30mA failing to operate.
2/ Can't quite make out what your saying here, sorry??

My misunderstanding, sorry :(

Critical process manufacturing, emergency circuits, Hospital critical care, basically anywhere supply is critical or low phase to ground fault current are desired.

1/ I was talking about as a primary main supply system

Here the thing, if the system has no wiring errors you do not need a dedicated earth path. TN-S is sufficient for a data center. Ground rods make little difference. When a ground fault occurs on a TN-S system it begins to have the magnetic properties of a TN-C systems since current will flow on metal parts. You loose the equal potential reference between any earth point in addition to inductive 50/60hz magnetic fields being present everywhere that current flows. Both wreck havoc among electronic equipment. RCDs or at least testing the system for any earth faults produces very quiet grounds.

I don't think you've ever worked on IT centres from what you have stated above.
RCD's will have no effect whatsoever on the quality of any grounding system

Isolated grounding in the USA only came form that misunderstood concept. In the USA RCDs are nonexistent so many buildings have standing neutral to ground faults.

Can you explain that comment please??

Nothing misunderstood about an isolated/separated/dedicated earthing system...

Are you saying that GFCI's (RCD's) are non existent in the US now??

My 2 cents. :)

Right i'm off back to work ....now that the rain has stopped!! lol!!

1/ Any ground drying out or freezing will at most only affect the first metre, it's extremely rare for a 3m/10' or deeper rod to be affected to the extent of no longer being able to provide a sufficient low resistance earth path, to protect the installation it's connected to under a fault conditions.

Depends on the climate and soil. In some areas passing 100ma is no problem all year round, others like say the Country of Norway getting even 5ma might be a challenge.

2/ A driven earth rod will actually improve over the 1st year of installation as the soil around it consolidates around the rod. Maybe after 30 years you may find a bit of deterioration, but only if the soil make-up has a corrosive element. All earth conductor connections to rods should be protected if they are of the bolted/mechanical type connection, usually with two or three layers of amalgamating tape. What's the chances of a bolted or exothermic weld connection becoming disconnected, ...near Zero!!

If undisturbed and driven deep enough it can improve as soil settles.

However, in the US I see a lot of disconnected ground rods, it happens. Yes they should be protected, but when comparing a main bonding jumper to a ground rod, the bonding jumper is 1000s of times more fail safe. I have seen even undisturbed ground rods corrode.

3/ Now that is something i wouldn't even think of considering to do. I don't know what the DNO's are like in the States, but in the UK (or anywhere else i can think of) they wouldn't take interfering with a TX's neutral-earth point too kindly, to say the least....

I never said breaking the neutral to ground bond at a transformer. In the US we leave one, two, or three phases out of the weather head plus a neutral and pocos hook it up to their wires. In underground services its the same, they either hook their wires (1,2 or 3 hots plus neutral) at the meter or in an underground splice box.

You mentioned that DNOs would get upset if we did something to the grounding system within the home or building (at least that is what I was trying to say) but in the US that is not a POCOs responsibility.

1/ External and internal parts of an electrical installation warrants the same degree of testing, in fact the external side of things will often dictate the safety of the whole installation. What do you mean by pointless??

In a TT system the external ground rods play a role to fault clearing yes. The lower the ground rod resistance in a TT system the better, here low Z is of value. But in TN-S and TN-C-S system external grounding makes no major difference. Assuming the N or PE never breaks, whats the advantage? And if the N did break in TN-C-S I can see the ground rod drying up if the condition persisted and it probably would because a low Z would mask a broken N until something made it noticeable.

A decent 0.5 - 1 ohm TT system is Far from pointless it is in many cases better than is seen on a TN-S system and probably better than some of your TNC-S supplies if they don't have sufficient N-E links along the supply line....

What do you mean seen better on TT than TN-S probably better than TNC-S? Confused. Why would more or fewer N-E links along the supply line matter?

If you are talking about making the earth another neutral conductor to relieve voltage drop across the neutral conductor a low Z ground rod wont matter to much. All the potential rise relative to remote earth would still persist to some degree or another. A metal water line might help though...

What will prevent a neutral from shocking people in a building is bonding to all the metal parts if a TN-C-S system. And to be honest if you are getting a lot of voltage drop on a neutral it is either undersized or broken. And that brings up another issue. In TN-C-S earthing a broken neutral might get covered up by many ground rods in parellel that have a low Z. It just food for though.

2/How do you think the DNO maintain a low Ze level on a TNC-S supply if they don't N-E link with earth rod(s) at intervals along the supply lines??

Simple. The condutor itself. That is a job of the conductor. Relying on earth for low Z is asanine. Its a waste of money to pound so many ground rods that the earth now has an impedance similar or lower to the neutral. In some soil conditions it can not be done. If the neutral is undersized it is a lot cheaper to upsize it than to drive long or many ground rods at every pole. How is an aluminum neutral more in cost (that could even be pareleleld to the old one) cheaper than driving copper ground rods? Further, if the neutral broke on a low Z earth rod, who would notice?

Also, useing the earth as a conductor has draw backs. Not only are you creating magnetic fields and loseing the ability to detect downed conductors through zero sequnce (RCD) protection but also creating stray voltage problems. If you dont beleive me Google Stray voltage or stray current. In the US where TN-C is the norm for utilities this is beoming a major issue in some palces.

Personally, one ground rod 4 times per mile is enough. Maybe a few extras for lightining protection but thats it.

3/ I'm not saying and never said you NEED to employ a TT system be it rods ,Ufer, tape etc when a TNC-S or TN-S supply is available...

Ok, makes sense.

4/ What do you mean by ground rods offer ''Some'' help on a Lightning Protection system?? It's the ''ONLY'' protection that an LP system is based and relies on. So where do you think all that incredible amount of energy is going to go without those ground electrodes then?? More to the point what would you think would happen with that incredible amount of energy without those rods being in place??

It is the basis for lighting protection, but do 2 ground rods help over many? Yes, lighting dispsipates into the earth, but what point do we spend money on ground rods and testing for something that may never happen. And if lighting did strike a home directly, it doesnt matter how many gorund rods or low Zs. A direct hit will destropy everything. I have seen direct lighting hits on homes with UFERs and city water pipes which as the best ground eletodes on earth, litterally. Yet the damage is obscene either way. Also, keep in mind what Mike Holt said. A well casing has a lower Z, but because lighting is a short pulse, it will go to something that is closer by.

Ok, I will agree one this, if you have 2 ground rods at 1ohm, they will help with lightning protection.

1/ Main earthing and main bonding are two completely different animals each having it's own task. They are also of equal importance.

In terms of human safty bonding is what protects, grounding does nothing about that.

2/ I'm afraid you are Wrong a good earth electrode connected to the MET will indeed make a difference, while not entirely removing the danger it will reduce considerably the voltage potential...

If the Z is low enough between the transormer and service to the point it has a few ohms or lower it certianly does help. In fact the higher the Z the more voltage rise. However, if the Z is high itself to the transfmomer the earth rod will not do much even close to the structure.

Sorry, but you're wrong again soil resistance has everything to do with a TT system!! Do you not think that any extraneous earthing brought into a property via metallic water, gas, or oil services pipework will not also help a TT system just as much or as little as it will a TN earthing system??

I am not disagreeing that it is everthing in a TT system. Pipes certainly help a TT system. In fact metal water or gas pipes can act as a 2nd neutral during an open service neutral in a TN-C-S system provided they are continous to other structures. In the US I have seen an open serice neutral not get noticed baecause the city metal water pipe acts as a perfect conductor.

The fact is, Bonded services (equipotential zone) should not be considered as part of the fault path for tripping breakers

This part I absolutly disagree with. How does an equal potenital zone not help clearing a breaker? Its pure copper that is less than 0.1 ohm? And again, a bond is less than 0.1 ohm, so it will trip a breaker no questions asked. An equal potential zone is based on excaptioonally low Z bonding (copper wire) and is always counted as a current carrying during a fault.

1/ So what else do you rely on if they are providing a TN earthing point??

For fault clearing you rely on the neutral they give you, or in the case of TN-S the ground POCO gives you. If the neutral can handle 100amps at 230 volts without issue it can definelty clear a fault. When RCDs are not present this is all that you rely on. Yes metal water pipes can compliment it, but your neutral is what clears the fault.

2/ Again you do NOT rely on the main bonding conductors (extraneous earthing) to provide a fault path to trip breakers, that is not what they are intended for....

Than what is the intention. I dont know. Again, what is better than a main bonding jumper with an impedance of 0.0001 ohms and a neutral or ground wire that goes back to the XO of 0.01 ohms???? How is even a best case ground rod senerio of 1 ohm better than that.

Keep in mind, ground (soil) is nothing more than a resitor. It has no special properties or electron ambitions.

3/ Exactly that, you are relying on a network operators earthing point when provided.

We are not relying on their "earthing" point. We realy on their neutral conductor. A neutral condutor is not an earthing point, it is a low impedane path that allows for fault current to go back to its source.

The problem you have in the US is that you don't test anything.

I agree, this is an issue.

How many electricians in the States own a Earth loop Impedance tester??

Few, if any.

Virtually none, so you have no idea what the Ze or the Zs of an installation is. The NEC doesn't call for any testing, apart from ground rods , so none get's done.

Wrong. The NEC does not require testing ground rods. All it says that if you can prove on ground gorund rod is less than 25 ohms you dont need another. If you cant test a ground rod or dont want to, drive 2 rods and you are done.

Truth is we dont have to worry about Zs. Most of our serivces are oversized, the neutral conductors are often as big as the phases, poco transfomers are close by, and above all we dont ever rely on the earth for anything. As a result, I can short circuit my home panel and easilly get 8,000amps phase to ground which is bonded to the low impedance neutral. Even at the branch level we use full sized earth wires, and even when we dont like with circuits over 40amps our EGCs are still plenty low Z. Voltage drop is our biggest factor since we use a lot of 120, so when that forces use to increase the phase and nuetral size it forces the same on the earth wires forcing a lower Z which compensates for the longer run.

In truth earth wires and bonding in the NEC is over engenered by requirments, so a fualt always draws well over 10 times the breaker handle rating anywhere in the system tripping the circuit in 1/60th of a second. And yes, most of the time we meet IEC disconnect requrments. And even when we do not, out systems are so well bonded that the voltage rise between metal points is still very low.

If we did TT earthing we might then have to worry about Zs but dont.

Every electrician in the UK and Europe owns either a MFT (multifunction tester) or a set of separate testers to test Insulation Resistance, ELI, RCD's of most types, Voltage, etc....

This would help, in other cases like ensuring the installtion is free of defect like an open earth wire.

1/ On small installations such as domestics we use DP isolators rather than a main breaker. On a TT system it is prudent to use an upfront 100mA time delayed RCD to compensate for a 30mA failing to operate.

Good info! Thanks! :) But again, this costs more.

1/ I was talking about as a primary main supply system

Ok.

I don't think you've ever worked on IT centres from what you have stated above.
RCD's will have no effect whatsoever on the quality of any grounding system

So your saying that when a neutral touches a ground (earth wire) after an RCD, it doesnt trip? How is a grounding system with neutral current on it quality when you can measure voltage gradients and magnetic fileds. Heck take an amp meter and you will read current on metal parts.

Can you explain that comment please??

Nothing misunderstood about an isolated/separated/dedicated earthing system...

When RCDs are not used, neutral to ground faults go unoticed as well as high Z hot to ground faults. This puts current on the grounding system. Such current flows on all metal objects such as audio equipemnt shields inducing counter currents in the vary conductors being sheilded. Current also results in voltage drop, causeing voltage differnces between grounding points. Even 1 volt can cause problems. These voltages interfere with signal transfer in senesitive equipment. Thus electronic equipment malfunctions.

Isolated grounding came about as a code compliant method which allowed to help break the differnece in potential by going all the way back to the serice entrance yet still having an effectinve low Z ground fault currnt path. It helps somewhat, but not much. Every time you take an isolated ground machine and have it contact something elese in the facility you loose that iso ground. And it still doenst correct the issue at hand.

Dirty grounding is nothing more than a ground that has a voltage difference between other metal objects which is caused by current being placed on the grounding system in some way. Current seaks all paths, so when its travelling on the grounding system any extra path like shileded cable or metal racks will take some of that current. The magnetic feilds that AC current produce travelling on the grounding system also wrecks havoc. Old CRT computer monitors will jitter from it for example, and audio equipemt will produce a 50/60hz hum.

The misunderstianding came when it was beleived this was being caused by other issues like not having an ISO ground. Most American electricans beleive ISO grouninding is a scam.

Are you saying that GFCI's (RCD's) are non existent in the US now??

They are none existent on branch circuits. They exist near sinks and outdoor sockets for personal proectection, but other than that 99% of circuits do not have any RCD protection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not intending to continue these epic length posts, save to say that your understanding of main earthing and main bonding along with LP systems leaves a lot to be desired. You are also blindly accepting that the supply from a network operator be it TN-S or TNC-S is always going to have an adequate Ze value, and even if it hasn't, bonding it to a properties extraneous metal service pipes will solve the problem, ...it won't!!

I suggest two things to you, firstly purchase a Earth Loop Impedance tester and test those incoming supplies to properties, i think you could well be surprised at the values it shows you, for both Ze and Zs.

Study the functions and reasons for main bonding and Equipotential Zones, as well as the importance of N-E connections to TNC-S service supplies. Have you ever heard of PME (Protective Multiple Earth) earthing system?? It's basically a TNC-S earthing supply, but has multiple N-E points along it's length from the TX. On an overhead supply system that would generally be a N-E link with an earth electrode ever 3rd or 4th pole.... A typical PME earth in the UK has an accepted max Ze of 0.35 ohms, while a TN-S earth has a typical max of 0.80 ohms. (note, these figures are given as typical by the DNO'S, and not set in stone)

I'm going to try and attach a copy of the UK's Regulations, it's not the current copy, but more than good enough for you to understand some of the points we have been discussing.

(Can't upload the pdf maybe if you give me your email address via the PM system here i can send it to you direct...)

I'm not intending to continue these epic length posts, save to say that your understanding of main earthing and main bonding along with LP systems leaves a lot to be desired.

Yes, coming from the same person who makes claims with certainty regarding NEC and American installs which every American electrican knows is absolutely untrue. That speaks a lot just by itself.

I dont know all that much about BS7671 or British installs, so I never make any solid claims. Imagine how I would look on this forum if I did. Rather I just keep an open mind.

You are also blindly accepting that the supply from a network operator be it TN-S or TNC-S is always going to have an adequate Ze value, and even if it hasn't, bonding it to a properties extraneous metal service pipes will solve the problem, ...it won't!!

In theory I am, but then again I know it will in 99.99% of American services. I know My neutral is intact. I know the short circuit values. I know its size. I know the distance to the transformer in most cases. If I call POCO for equipment AIC (short circuit) ratings saying a phase to neutral short will produce 18,000 amperes in a 200amp 120/208Y commercial service do I really need to factor in Z? 18,000 amperers will trip the main instantaneously, and will be more than enough current for branch breakers.

At the branch level, we use full size earth wires. Even if I extend a 3.31mm2 (12 gauge) circuit 350 feet to the point voltage drop is over 5%, I can calculate the short circuit current knowing the impedance of the conductors. A phase to ground short all the way at the end of a 350 foot run will produce several hundred amps. An American 20amp breaker trips in 1/60 of a second at 200amps, 10/60 of a second at 100amps. The fault is removed very quickly.

Because of our over engineered earth wires and bonding, even when the fault is happening the voltage rise is well below 80 volts to remote earth.

And again, even if POCOs neutral broke during the fault (it wont), even though every metal surface will be 120 volts to remote earth, all metal within the structure will be zero volts because its bonded together. Floor to plumbing, zero volts. Oven to fridge, zero volts.

I suggest two things to you, firstly purchase a Earth Loop Impedance tester and test those incoming supplies to properties, i think you could well be surprised at the values it shows you, for both Ze and Zs.

This I will do, anyways its nice to know if the EGC is intact at the branch level.

Study the functions and reasons for main bonding and Equipotential Zones, as well as the importance of N-E connections to TNC-S service supplies. Have you ever heard of PME (Protective Multiple Earth) earthing system?? It's basically a TNC-S earthing supply, but has multiple N-E points along it's length from the TX. On an overhead supply system that would generally be a N-E link with an earth electrode ever 3rd or 4th pole.... A typical PME earth in the UK has an accepted max Ze of 0.35 ohms, while a TN-S earth has a typical max of 0.80 ohms. (note, these figures are given as typical by the DNO'S, and not set in stone)

I'm going to try and attach a copy of the UK's Regulations, it's not the current copy, but more than good enough for you to understand some of the points we have been discussing.

Will, do, always willing to learn :)

(Can't upload the pdf maybe if you give me your email address via the PM system here i can send it to you direct...)

I will send over an Email address.

I think i have previously explained my mistake and apologised. Though for the life of me, i can't understand the thinking behind not accepting a stable sub 1 ohm TT system, that makes no logical sense to me at all. As a matter of interest, what supply earthing system do you provide for mobile caravan sites and petrol (gas) stations??

It's all well and good you coming out with these above figures but in reality you have no means of KNOWING if the basis of your calculations are correct, If you don't possess the test equipment to confirm them. Faults on the service network, such as loose connections etc can nullify those complying calculations, whether you have full size neutrals or not (and full sized neutrals are not considered as being ''over'' engineered). On your 3 wire single phase systems i would think it's an absolute must having a full sized neutral.

An earth loop impedance tester will give you the actual Ze (PEFC) values, as well as the L-N and L-L PSCC values available at service head along with Zs values available anywhere else such as circuits and any sub distribution boards (Zdb)....

My statements above are based on your comments about multiple N-E links achieving nothing, when in fact they can make a very big difference to a TNC-S system. along with your statement on LP system rods being of little use, when they are the main protection means for any building equipped with a LP system. If as you stated extensive damage was seen on a house with an LP system in place, then the LP system was incorrectly installed.

Anyway, PM me your email address and i'll send you a pdf of the 17th edition of BS 7671.
Maybe a good idea to look at the section covering installation testing and reporting. No disrespect, but I think that may shock every American journeyman electrician...

I think i have previously explained my mistake and apologised. Though for the life of me, i can't understand the thinking behind not accepting a stable sub 1 ohm TT system, that makes no logical sense to me at all.

Ok, I apologize. I see that you cleared it up. My mistake :)

I think we may have to agree to disagree. In the US its just the way we all have been taught. Never rely on ground even with a GFCI. Im not saying we are right or wrong, just the way things are. Once you are taught something its difficult to undo. I guess I am that way.

As a matter of interest, what supply earthing system do you provide for mobile caravan sites and petrol (gas) stations??

Caravans and gas stations are TN-S, but supplied by a TN-C utility. At gas stations the neutral is switched with the phases.

Basically poco provides 3 or 4 wires, they go through the meter and then a main disconnect. At the disconnect we drive 2 ground rods, and if any metal water pipes or UFERs exist we also bond those to the neutral bar. From the main disconnect a ground and neutral is brought out.

It's all well and good you coming out with these above figures but in reality you have no means of KNOWING if the basis of your calculations are correct, If you don't possess the test equipment to confirm them. Faults on the service network, such as loose connections etc can nullify those complying calculations, whether you have full size neutrals or not (and full sized neutrals are not considered as being ''over'' engineered). On your 3 wire single phase systems i would think it's an absolute must having a full sized neutral.

In terms of knowing you are correct, because its never 'field verified'. you have a point though, if the neutral broke coming from the POCO, a fault within the structure will never clear unless metal water pipes existed coming into the structure.

An earth loop impedance tester will give you the actual Ze (PEFC) values, as well as the L-N and L-L PSCC values available at service head along with Zs values available anywhere else such as circuits and any sub distribution boards (Zdb)....

Any good links on a tester? I can see these of being of value.

My statements above are based on your comments about multiple N-E links achieving nothing, when in fact they can make a very big difference to a TNC-S system. along with your statement on LP system rods being of little use, when they are the main protection means for any building equipped with a LP system. If as you stated extensive damage was seen on a house with an LP system in place, then the LP system was incorrectly installed.

LP is a valid concern. Unfortunately the NEC isnt to much concerned about it :(

Anyway, PM me your email address and i'll send you a pdf of the 17th edition of BS 7671.
Maybe a good idea to look at the section covering installation testing and reporting. No disrespect, but I think that may shock every American journeyman electrician...
[/QUOTE]

No disrespect taken :) We may not agree on everything, but let me tell you how many new installations were never to code from day one. Open grounds, crossed circuits, loose connections, ect ect. I have seen it all. Testing would be a good idea in the NEC.

FWIW when AFCIs came out they caught a lot of loose connections and ground faults in brand new homes. I dont agree with the arc fault logic, but the 30 milli amp RCD function built inside caught a lot of errors.

A
ny good links on a tester? I can see these of being of value.

As you are in the US, try looking at Megger ELI meters as i know they have a large presence over there. They will probably have a model to cater for your voltage bands and systems. Also try looking at what Fluke has to offer in the US.

No good buying a unit from Europe as the nominal voltage differs and the no trip function of 15mA for our 30mA RCD's will trip your 6mA GFCI's.

Also, make sure the unit is suitable for the L-L voltages you will be likely to be testing if this function is available on the model of choice....

Reply to adding test procedures to the NEC code in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net