Currently reading:
Advice for newly qualified electricians

Discuss Advice for newly qualified electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Esteemed
Reaction score
What is the best piece of advice you've been given over the years by other electricians that you would like to pass on to newly qualified ones?

Go to the stores and get me a bucket of Volts, the 240 ones, sorry really, never give up learning, and don't take silly chances with yours and others lives.

Me: "is this live?"
Sage: "find out for yourself, the painful way or the right way."

Only you can keep yourself and others safe.

Me: "which cable is which?"
Sage: "did you label or write on them all?"
Me: "no."
Sage: "well you'd better find out in your lunch break."

Label or mark all cables at both ends!

Work fast enough to get the job done within price, but too fast and you'll feel forced cut corners, or make mistakes which in the long run will cost you more.

There's usually many solutions to a problem, never asume you know it all, and failures are just lessons you'll never forget.

Every day's a learning curve, but these days cover your back side get things signed off/for take photo's sorry but on some jobs that's how it is. Keep a diary with notes

This. You can even show potential customers your before/after work pics. Show off your good work, it'll give you an edge when you're proud of your work and show it.

And when the excretion hits the rotating kinetic atmosphere redistributor, having all the notes to hand shows your serious and you can back up your arguments.

Take pride in your work.. you can tell a decent spark by the way he or she approaches their install. Too many youngsters who don't even know how to install correctly to there specific specifications. Let alone test or fault find. Remember the basics first.

Never expose the back of your neck too your mentor if he is wielding an hot teaspoon. :mad:
We've all been there as youngsters

Having mothers voice in my head at the crucial "measure twice, cut once" times has ensured 'less' mistakes!
Preparing the area with dust sheets and carpet protectors takes time but is an investment.
Always have sweeping and cleaning equipment with you. Sit 'Henry' in the front seat then you can ride the 2+ lanes!

Having mothers voice in my head at the crucial "measure twice, cut once" times has ensured 'less' mistakes!
Preparing the area with dust sheets and carpet protectors takes time but is an investment.
Always have sweeping and cleaning equipment with you. Sit 'Henry' in the front seat then you can ride the 2+ lanes!
A motto (my bold) that has served me well for many years! I even take it one step further these days:- If I'm measuring in metric and wanting to remember the size for example, lets say 1110mm I also note the closest imperial size (that's "inches" to you young ones) which would be 43". What this does, is it ensures that I don't cut something at 1010mm by accident. Which is easily done if you are just relying on memory or accidentally misread the tape.
Trust me it happens quite easily
I have seen this done at my cost, a guy working for me misread the tape and cut a kitchen work top 100mm too short!

Fail to prepare = Prepare to fail. As above with regards protecting your body inside and out......Smile knowingly as the "Hero's" Slag you off and laugh at you.....Then smile some more when their backs,legs,knees,eyes,ears and lungs start to fall apart while you are still going strong like a 20 year old on heat.

Listen to your Mentors, wear your PPE, don't let other Trades bully you, don't leave you tools and equipment lying around, give your self 20 mins at the end of the working day to account for all your kit and listen to your Mum if you aren't married, the you will have to to listen to Her.

Reply to Advice for newly qualified electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back