Discuss Alternatives to 6242Y in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm in Azerbaijan but wired my house using UK T&E cable. But that was a few years ago and there is none left. I have some small jobs to do and have located two potential alternatives:
  • 6242B 2.5mm (2x2.5 + 1.5) for ring mains - made in 2012
  • CU/LSF/LSF (2x1.5 = 1.0) for lighting - made in 2010
These were imported to Azerbaijan by an oil industry contractor, so I think they are just flame retardant/low smoke equivalents of 6242Y. But both look pretty much the same, double insulated large conductor and smaller single insulated earth.

Should I have any concerns about using these? What about the age? Though I know it has been stored in a clean, dry warehouse.

Thanks

6242B-1.jpg6242B-2.jpgCu-LSF-LSF.jpgCu-LSF-LSF 2.jpg

In terms of the standards they meet, then I think they are perfectly usable as T&E for domestic wiring, and 10 years of normal storage is nothing.

But I would take care they really are good cables, so:
  • Insulation test the reel at 500V before you put it in to service
  • Carefully cut the conductors and study the ends to see if they are copper all the way through (or copper clad aluminium to AVOID!)
  • Using reasonably accurate calipers measure the conductor diameter, compute the area, and check it really is the 2.5mm^2 or so it claims.
Probably no worry, but with cables of unknown origin and so on you want to be sure BEFORE you use them for real.

im sure ive seen that stuff in the UK, possibly worked with it. Its got the BASEC markings, so i dont think there will be any problems.

LSF just means "Low Smoke and Fumes" and it can be specified for certain jobs in the UK where PVC/PVC just wont cut it.

Ive had decent cable from well known wholesalers go funny on me... the grey outer sheath turns brittle, but sticks to the inner pvc insulation.... partly strips off, partly stuck like glue

Reply to Alternatives to 6242Y in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net