Discuss AM2 fail help cat5 data in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

I recently failed part of my AM2 assessment on the cat5 data part of all things! Any help would be much appreciated.

Problem is I don’t know where I went wrong. Here’s a quick run down.

Cable installed in top or bottom of dado with the plastic bridge fitted where it crossed over the middle section with the 230v stuff in. I think the bridge could only go one way and I kept the 230v behind it and the cat5 on the front side of it.

I was provided a wiring diagram for connection which was different to the colours indicated on the back of the cat5 socket but as the specification said to follow all wiring diagrams I went with that option. Fitted what I believe is a dust cover over terminations once punched down and there was a hole in the dust cover I presume for the cable entry? Didn’t fit very well though as the cat5 is very thin. I also couldn’t see any type of strain relief on the back of the socket where a cable tie would go?

All tested ok on my testing part with the cat5 tester but came back as a fail for that section on the data installation?

Any help would be much appreciated as I don’t want to repeat the same mistakes on my resit!

Thank you in advance for any pointers.

Cheers snowhead,

Thank you for your reply.

There was no obvious way to provide strain relief that I could see. It was more the type of set up in this picture although attached to a 1 gang plate rather than a module;62C99BFF-1BAA-4718-AF3B-5C7BC26F6B6D.png

I was provided a wiring diagram for connection which was different to the colours indicated on the back of the cat5 socket but as the specification said to follow all wiring diagrams I went with that option.
Which option, your sentence is a touch ambiguous?

The back of the socket is always the colour code to follow.

Which option, your sentence is a touch ambiguous?

The back of the socket is always the colour code to follow.
Hi rsgaz

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn’t very clear was I. I went with the option of the wiring diagram provided in the am2 as the course brief said all wiring diagrams and specifications are to be followed.

I agree with you in the real world that the back of the socket (manufacturers instructions) should be followed but in the am2 they are also marking you for your ability to follow drawings & specifications.

I don’t want to take a re-sit and fail again for the same thing but they don’t give you any guidance as to where exactly you failed.

Given there is only 2 wiring specs for a cat5 outlet ( 568A or 568B ) and in the UK we usually use 568B other than the strain relief I'm not sure how you can go wrong.
If it was wiring the plug as well I know a lot of people who struggle with that

Reply to AM2 fail help cat5 data in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net