Search the forum,

Discuss Any seen a RCBO like this before? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Cheapest ones I’ve found I can get so far are Fusebox at £106.92 inc VAT

Had a customer last week asking for a quote for a full AFDD board which had 15 circuits.

Soon changed his mind when I said that’s £1600 in circuit protection before we even start with the rest of the materials, labour, testing, certification etc.
Yes, quite eye-watering for now!

If concerned, I would probably look at 32A AFDD just on a couple of RFC for the sockets, rather like amendment 2 suggests (I think, not got it yet!), rather than all circuits.

Yes, quite eye-watering for now!

If concerned, I would probably look at 32A AFDD just on a couple of RFC for the sockets, rather like amendment 2 suggests (I think, not got it yet!), rather than all circuits.

That’s what I suggested. Stick to the sockets only and at a push the shower, cooker and planned EV charger as they’re quite high loads.

But they decided on just having an all up RCBO board given it saved them a good chunk of ££’s

Generally I would push the sub-main's supply fuse as high as the sub-main end of cable Zs will allow, but ideally still two steps down from the DNO fuse so it has selectivity with that. (e.g. DNO = 100A then 63A, or DNO = 80A then 50A should have total selectivity with it).
Just to add that obviously the sub-main has to be overload protected as well.

If the supply fuse is too high for that (i.e. chosen for only fault protection and good selectivity) then you should make sure the sum of MCB/RCBO fed off the sub-main provides such an overall limit.

For a garage/workshop you might only be talking 6A circuit for lights (fixed load, probably 0.5A these LED days) and something like 20A-32A for socket outlets. So if the sub-main has a CCC of, say, 40A installed, then 2*20A radials or 32A RFC would not overload it, etc.

That sounds like a better idea to me.

Out of interest, what make of AFDD are you going for, and how much are they each?
Hi again,
I have been into CEF and they don't have a custom made consumer unit with an AFDD already 'plumbed' (sorry rude word!) in yet as they do for SPD - Just looked at the price for an AFDD - £130!!, never mind the CU! I can see why you asked now...

It's likely that AFDD prices will start to reduce as more manufacturers introduce them to their ranges, but dramatic price reductions will likely only happen if they are mandated at some point in the future and production ramps up significantly.

The problem with dual module RCBO's is the size of UK boards, soon run out of room on a decent size domestic installation, but agree that going back to fly leads is a retrograde step, how about the white earth lead as well. 🤔

FYI In Europe the dual module RCD's and MCB's have the incoming across the top with off set terminals to allow horizontal bus bars, on the multi row boards there are vertical bus bars also available to power the RDC for each row, even for three phase.

Or if you want to use a non offset dual RCD/MCB combination there is this available: A9XPH224 | Schneider Electric Acti 9 2 Phase Busbar, 415V ac, 18mm Pitch | RS Components - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/busbars/7762724

Last edited:
Hi again,
I have been into CEF and they don't have a custom made consumer unit with an AFDD already 'plumbed' (sorry rude word!) in yet as they do for SPD - Just looked at the price for an AFDD - £130!!, never mind the CU! I can see why you asked now...

Indeed, and don't forget they are per circuit rather than one per consumer unit like SPDs.

Indeed, and don't forget they are per circuit rather than one per consumer unit like SPDs.
Yes, I think we will start to see "one RFC for the house and one RFC for the kitchen" becoming the norm!

Unless the prices really do drop to RCBO like levels, which remains to be seen. Mind you, I have seem them come down from £120+VAT to £99+VAT so only a couple more years...

And (to my knowledge) not testable for the arc-part on any MFT.
I was told recently at an Expo that as part of the certification process for AFDD they have to self test and will indicate if it fails.

Dave Savery did manage to build his own test rig. But as it’s supposed to be a manufacturing process test then there’s no requirement, currently, to test them on installation. Other than to check the self test has performed and indicates all is ok.

Reply to Any seen a RCBO like this before? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock