Discuss Any seen a RCBO like this before? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Raptor0014

Esteemed
Reaction score
Whilst looking for something else I noticed this on CEF and wondered if they had marketed it wrong and it was infact a RCCB and not a RCBO.

But looking at the data sheet it appears it is indeed a RCBO. Just curious as it doesn’t appear to have a neutral fly lead. So can only assume it is meant for the incoming supply rather than an individual circuit.

Has anyone used one before?

Attachments

• mcg_63adp30bat_datasheet_48e933acb81bf16b17964d7947e88760.pdf
    603.2 KB · Views: 20
I don't think I've ever fitted one, but you sometimes find lower rating ones in their own enclosure.
This was a B32 30ma type AC.

1644321669207.png

I think this was someone's attempt of adding a compliant shower circuit to a bathroom that didn't have bonding, running off a Wylex rewireable board. It got removed when the board was changed.

Yes I have seen and fitted them before, double pole MCB & RCD all in one, I use them a lot on marinas and caravan sites. Very handy units and until RCBO'S became double pole were one of the few options for double pole isolation without having an MCB and RCD taking up 3 modules!

Isn't this the sort of RCBO that would be common in ROI and many parts of continental Europe?
I believe it is.

It also shows the thermal/magnetic trips in both paths which is required in some places without the UK's historical insistence that neutral is really neutral and close to true Earth. Most DP RCBOs you see now in the UK (compact Wylex, Fusebox, etc) are neutral-switching, but they do not sense overload on the N path (though a fault only on N would be tripped by the RCD side of things).

Whilst looking for something else I noticed this on CEF and wondered if they had marketed it wrong and it was infact a RCCB and not a RCBO.

But looking at the data sheet it appears it is indeed a RCBO. Just curious as it doesn’t appear to have a neutral fly lead. So can only assume it is meant for the incoming supply rather than an individual circuit.

Has anyone used one before?
Double pole switching 2 module RCBOs are very common in Ireland. (Specifically in the south - not in the north where BS 7671 applies.) I actually prefer them to single module devices.

Yes I have seen and fitted them before, double pole MCB & RCD all in one, I use them a lot on marinas and caravan sites. Very handy units and until RCBO'S became double pole were one of the few options for double pole isolation without having an MCB and RCD taking up 3 modules!
Hi, I'm just about to fit an MCG 63A type A, C curve, 2 pole RCBO (Awaiting from CEF) for a new 10mm SWA supply from my meter cabinet. The data sheet says the incoming supply can be either top or bottom. - That's okay, but it does not show which polarity for N and L, just 1,2, 3, 4 on the small picture test circuit. My question is does it matter?

Hi, I'm just about to fit an MCG 63A type A, C curve, 2 pole RCBO (Awaiting from CEF) for a new 10mm SWA supply from my meter cabinet. The data sheet says the incoming supply can be either top or bottom. - That's okay, but it does not show which polarity for N and L, just 1,2, 3, 4 on the small picture test circuit. My question is does it matter?
As long as when the contacts are closed you don’t have crossed polarity then no.

So from memory 1-3 & 2-4 correspond.

Do you need RCD protection for this SWA feed?
My design, was to take a feed from the meter cabinet at the back of the house to the front where our cars are parked and supply a Zappi car charger for my EV car. Solar panels are being installed later this year... We are also having electric gates fitted, so needed a supply and I'm having built a new workshop in the front area. (We only moved in 6 months ago). I have put a new meter cabinet on the front decking with a new CU fitted with a SPD, MCB for the Zappi and 2 RCBO's for gates and workshop. It will leave 3 spaces for the solar panels and a Tesla Power Wall. Our main consumer unit is full! The 10mm SWA runs from the back to the front of the house then 6mm SWA for the Zappi (No extra earth required), 4mm SWA for the workshop and 2.5mm SWA for the gates. I have added an isolation switch from the meter, then a Henley block for the new supply and an external 65A Isolation switch. I'm adding the 63A 2P C curve Type A RCBO, (Original Post) between the Henley block and the external isolation switch, more for overload protection than RCD. A bit 'belt and braces'. The Zappi can control the amount of supply from the grid, so as to not overload the main 100A fuse

One issue is the lack of discrimination between this upfront RCBO and downstream RCBOs in the new board. Is there a reason why a switchfuse wouldn't provide sufficient protection for the armoured cable?

Will the workshop have its own DB or is everything running directly off that one circuit? If it does have its own DB, can you tell more about it?

I don't think I've ever fitted one, but you sometimes find lower rating ones in their own enclosure.
This was a B32 30ma type AC.

View attachment 94848
I have never used any other type of rcbo for the last 25 years except this double pole type.They are a dream to work with. You get D.P. isolation,no fly leads and really easy to install.And guess what??The powers that be have decided to change them for single pole rcbo,s with fly leads?? Give me a break!!

I have never used any other type of rcbo for the last 25 years except this double pole type.They are a dream to work with. You get D.P. isolation,no fly leads and really easy to install.And guess what??The powers that be have decided to change them for single pole rcbo,s with fly leads?? Give me a break!!

Ireland is moving to single module RCBOs? In that case you should be able to avail of some 1P+N options, although the majority will have fly leads.

Its not obligatory to use single module but all the big manufacturers are supplying their new DB,s with single module so it's inevitable it will become the new norm. I think many sparks (like me ) mistakenly assumed they were DP. It's a backward step in my view

While I like the smaller form of UK DBs, it certainly does seem like a step backwards in removing the DP requirement. I guess if sparks insist on single module RCBOs that switch both line & neutral, then wholesalers will stock their shelves accordingly. Question is whether or not people would go with the cheapest option or stick to their guns?

Not sure what is stocked by your local wholesalers, but Wylex, Crabtree & CP Fusebox definitely offer a 1P+N option. There are at least a couple of other manufacturers, but names escape me at this time.

Reply to Any seen a RCBO like this before? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net