Search the forum,

Discuss Any success stories from lads who've re-trained as sparks? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OllieNotts

Hi, just wondered if anyone here has a success story about what you used to do for a living, how you changed it, and what you do now?With so much negativity from sparks suggesting there isn't the levels of work there once was, I wondered how people who took the plunge anyway are getting on in the industry. Employed status? Agency worker? Work for yourself?

I finished a course through New Career Skills last year, i'm 27, used to work in sales/customer service/events. It's been a wierd year, i'm still working full time as I have to pay the bills, so I do electrical work at weekends & evenings. I'm half way through a full rewire and have done a few bits for friends & family, but i'm still working towards joining a scheme before I can take on more (i'm having a seasoned spark check & sign off my work at the mo but I have to pay him which impacts any earnings a lot). I'm not sure if the OP is under 25 or started training yet, but i'd reccomend an apprenticeship If you can, as i've missed out on all the on site experience & am looking to find someone to work with now. So partial success so far, but nothing happens over night, still baby steps ;D

I start college full time in sept on 2330 level 2 for one year then level 3 I think is part time. I'm 29 and know how hard it's gonna be to get work or a job I just wondered if people could share their experiences to show there's a glimmer of hope lol.I'm gonna keep driving a lorry so I'll be flat out 7 days a week the first year, I'm hoping at some point I'll be able to afford a drop in wage so I can attempt some work labouring or as a mate when I've built up some knowledge and that's 'if I get the chance'. I guess it looks like there's a black hole at the end of the tunnel with all the doom and gloom surrounding the professionals who are also struggling.

I wouldn't say doom & gloom at all, you've managed to get into college which is a great thing! Also, i've found if you know any sparks or anyone that knows any sparks - milk them for as much work/advice/support that they're willing to give! Cheers to Glenn, but it's too late for me to get an apprenticeship now (post 25). I'm not afraid of pulling cables & knocking out back boxes, my only issue is i've got a mortgage and bills etc so I can't drop back to min wage for 5 years at this stage :( so it's a waiting game for me whilst I back up my portfolio over the next few years, unless someone takes me on in a 'improver' type role.

where are you based tasty?

As for doom and gloom, cobblers I say, there will always be work (electrical), and there will always be a need for GOOD electrical workers.

end of.

Expect to be the very best, most excellent at what you do, bar none. and the money will come as an afterthought.

(I'm still waiting by the way but I am still reaching for excellence, it appears to be about 8 foot 2 high and I'm 5 foot 10)

I like your enthusiasm Spartykus!

I'm based in the Midlands, Birmingham specifically. The only spark I know at the moment lives in Manchester so whilst he's happy to help, I've spent £40 in petrol just getting him down here! :D If you know anyone in the area any contacts are always appreciated.

Glenn, you're right mate! I'm not saying i'm old or it's too late at all, we just have to be more creative with getting a foot in the door at this stage;D

And with regards to reaching for excellence, I'm 6ft 3", so hopefully that's given me a head start ;D

I like your enthusiasm Spartykus!

I'm based in the Midlands, Birmingham specifically. The only spark I know at the moment lives in Manchester so whilst he's happy to help, I've spent £40 in petrol just getting him down here! :D If you know anyone in the area any contacts are always appreciated.

Glenn, you're right mate! I'm not saying i'm old or it's too late at all, we just have to be more creative with getting a foot in the door at this stage;D

And with regards to reaching for excellence, I'm 6ft 3", so hopefully that's given me a head start ;D
H&S will love you, no need for steps.
Although you will have problems with confined spaces.

I tell you what mate, being able reach a light fitting without steps rocks! (not that i'd work like that, it would ruin my arms).

However I was in a 1m x 70cm crawl space the other day wiring a junction box & I'm surprised I got back out! It was great fun!

Reply to Any success stories from lads who've re-trained as sparks? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock