Discuss Axiom dry line boxes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A first today. While sober and of sound mind I deliberately purchased some Axiom 45mm dry line boxes.
I've found something they will do that Appleby boxes won't, namely grab really deep lath and plaster.
I usually order Deta boxes from CEF for this task, but this job was short notice and I forgot to get some.
The only other brand I've found that works in this situation are the delightful Axiom boxes as the tabs can go all the way to the back of a 45mm box. So off to Toolstation I went.

I ordered 6, and of the 6 that were handed to me I had cause to reject 2 of them immediately. Once I'd got 6 that had both tabs and threaded ferrules all present and correct, they were quickly fitted, remembering to be super gentle when tightening up to avoid ferrule pulling right through.
I thought I'd put in a good word for a product that most of us avoid like the plague as it has this single redeeming quality.

Thanks for that information @timhoward
Always good to learn little nuggets that may help in tricky situations.
TBH, I've only used Axiom metal-clad sockets on one small job, and I quite liked the build and the finish which was more of a silvery sheen than grey painted. What surprised me, subsequently, was that the Axiom sockets are a slightly smaller physical size than normal. I took a spare Axiom socket blanking plate to put on an existing metal-clad socket that had been installed and was subsequently redundant, and the blanking plate sat inside, rather than overlapping the back-box. Not a good look, but it did the job temporarily. Basically, if the space is really tight, the couple of mm smaller Axiom units might just save the day.
Again, just a comment or two on a brand many would avoid.

TBH, I've only used Axiom metal-clad sockets on one small job, and I quite liked the build and the finish
I agree there, the metal clad sockets are ok (can’t remember if they have single pole switching)

The Mk grid range has a larger metal surface box and you have to be careful to buy the right front plate - I’m wondering if it was one of these you tried to stick a new front on.

TBH, I'm not sure, but I think I was trying to put the front plate on a standard metal-clad screwfix box, which, incidentally, I have found to be quite good for the price.

Thanks for that information @timhoward
Always good to learn little nuggets that may help in tricky situations.
TBH, I've only used Axiom metal-clad sockets on one small job, and I quite liked the build and the finish which was more of a silvery sheen than grey painted. What surprised me, subsequently, was that the Axiom sockets are a slightly smaller physical size than normal. I took a spare Axiom socket blanking plate to put on an existing metal-clad socket that had been installed and was subsequently redundant, and the blanking plate sat inside, rather than overlapping the back-box. Not a good look, but it did the job temporarily. Basically, if the space is really tight, the couple of mm smaller Axiom units might just save the day.
Again, just a comment or two on a brand many would avoid.
Be careful with there sockets, if you use male threaded adapters or some swa glands which are long then you can't screw the faceplate back because of the design of the socket

Reply to Axiom dry line boxes in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net