Discuss Best place for UK electricians to work abroad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How things will go forward is anybody's guess, but I think most countries are going to have major economic problems for a decade or more.
Agreed. Very hard to know what the exact answer to that one is but I think we all know what the question is.. "How MUCH pain will we have to endure.." before we turn the corner on this coming recession.
We have the double whammy of Brexit to cope with. I am looking at it purely in economic terms. Already the drop in export figures between ROI and UK is staggering. Economically we have shot ourselves in both feet.( Don't want to get into the politics of it or "who fired the gun". People's choices are respected ). I would say that there will be some happy politicians that are glad they can hide a lot of the Brexit damage behind the Covid scenario. From our experience of previous, recessions, I would expect lower middle class and working class to bear the brunt of the pain again

I’m not saying we are not better off, but this is a rich country with deep rooted assets and a strong economy. We will bounce back very quickly.
I admire your optimism. And to be frank its always a more advantageous mindset than a pessimistic one, as that can lead to digging a deeper hole rather than focusing on climbing out of the one we are already in. Anyway time will tell.

Glad you corrected that

Be helpful if you could correct this

Not about making me feel better. It's about getting the facts and presenting them objectively

If "zerocraic" is Varakakar, I agree he could lighten up a little. But his personal sacrifice in putting himself in danger on the covid front line deserves a little respect, I think.

Correct. They never are. We had to digest a lot if pain after 2008.But the economy has bounced back. We don't have the luxury of getting free billions in aid from UK every year. It would be nice though. Any tips on how we could arrange that?

As I said earlier, a bit more objectivity and factually based comment would be helpful. It's clear that you are unhappy about the approach taken in ROI. But would you hold out the approach in NI as an example to follow?
I am completely opposed to restrictions anywhere. Totalitarianism is not the answer to COVID. Also the evidence shows they aren't effective. Varadkar will hopefully be prosecuted for his leaks - never want to see him again. He only re-registered as a doctor for the look of it in the media - spin is all he does. So he'll get no respect from me for it ever. I actually despise him.

Totally agree regarding fishing industry in uk.

British do not consume fish in the quantities our European neighbours do.

UK fishing industry died years ago it just doesn’t realise it yet.

also agree that London theatres do bring in tourism, but not in the quantity as a lot of other European countries. Other European countries rely on tourism alot more than us.

as for us bouncing back. I think we will get the economy up and running very quickly once lock down is fully lifted.

as for the extra national debt We have accumulated during lock down. .... I’m going to be slated for the next thing I state, but....

over 50,000 people have died above what is normal over the last year. Most receive state pensions and extensive medical and social care.

let’s be conservative, say each person received £20, 000 off the state each year that’s...

£20,000 times 50,000 people.

£200,000,000 per year saving. That should cover the interest on the additional debt and pay a bit off each year.

I’m not saying we are not better off, but this is a rich country with deep rooted assets and a strong economy. We will bounce back very quickly.
I must admit it seems such a sad reality those tragically died may have been a cost burden to the country that economists and politicians are not referencing

That's because it's an almost insignificant amount.

If you take a figure of 100k excess deaths as an example. Assuming these people would not have died without Covid.

Assume they are all pensioners, and costing the NHS an average of £9k a year (Guardian said over 85's cost an average of £7k a year back in 2016). Plus full state pension of around £9k a year - total £18k per person.

That's a £1.8 Billion saving per year. A lot of money, but actually not very much in the scheme of things.

The budget deficit this tax year is forecast to be £355 Billion. This is £300 Billion higher than the pre pandemic forecast. Next tax year is forecast have a £234 Billion deficit, again much higher than the pre pandemic deficit forecast.

Of course we are also forgetting that a not insignificant amount of the money spent on pensioners will work its way back to the treasury via taxes too, which eats into the £1.8 Billion 'saving'.

Reply to Best place for UK electricians to work abroad? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net