Discuss BS 88 fuse in a 20A radial socket outlet circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jordanh1992

A BS 88 fuse protects a 20A radial socket outlet circuit. The circuit is wired using 2.5mm2 single core cable installed in a 16m length of PVC conduit. A separate protective device conductor consisting of a 1.0mm2 PVC cable is used. Assuming that no correction factors are applicable and that the value of Ze is given as 0.5 ohms, determine whether the circuit complies with IET wiring regulations for shock protection? The nominal voltage (Uo) may be taken as 230 volts.

How do I figure out if the maximum disconnection time is 0.4 or 5 seconds, so then I can work out what the maximum Zs allowed for a 20a BS 88 fuse is...

Ze = 0.5 ohms
R1 + R2 = 25.51 (table 11 OSG)
Mf = ???
L = 16mm2

Any little tips you guys could give me, I'm new to all this so go easy!

hint: the size of cable will tell you the approx. current demand is <32A.

A BS 88 fuse protects a 20A radial socket outlet circuit. The circuit is wired using 2.5mm2 single core cable installed in a 16m length of PVC conduit. A separate protective device conductor consisting of a 1.0mm2 PVC cable is used. Assuming that no correction factors are applicable and that the value of Ze is given as 0.5 ohms, determine whether the circuit complies with IET wiring regulations for shock protection? The nominal voltage (Uo) may be taken as 230 volts.

How do I figure out if the maximum disconnection time is 0.4 or 5 seconds, so then I can work out what the maximum Zs allowed for a 20a BS 88 fuse is...

Ze = 0.5 ohms
R1 + R2 = 25.51 (table 11 OSG)
Mf = ???
L = 16mm2

Any little tips you guys could give me, I'm new to all this so go easy!

PVC cable...thats not very good as a circuit protective conductor, are you sure it's not PVC insulated copper??

Oh, by the way, if you want to type 1.0mm², to get the 2=² you need to hold the Left Alt key and then type 0178

and on a laptop without the separate numerical keypad.;lkomujlp;'[98k,.'#';/]]]];;L;[''/'.[OPPP,;./[];-=OLMPL';/'#

Am I correct in saying the Mf is 1.02 (table 12 OSG)?

Therefore...
Ze=0.5
R1 + R2= 25.51 table 11 OSG
Mf= 1.02 table 12 OSG
L= 16

0.5 + 25.51 x 1.02 x 16 = 416.82/1000= 0.42

0.5 + o.42 = 0.92

Zs = 0.92 ohms, this is not above the maximum permitted value and therefore is acceptable?

Could anyone check over my answer and see if I'm on the right lines! Thanks

on the 9 and the 0m of your keyboard, by using the shift key, you can get ( and ). then it might look as if it may be correct.

Reply to BS 88 fuse in a 20A radial socket outlet circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net