Currently reading:
Calculation and design a solar grid tie system

Discuss Calculation and design a solar grid tie system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rez1

Hello, I would like to know the approach and calculation how if I are to design 10MW of solar grid tie solar pv system.
Lets say that each panel have the specification as follows..
Power 250W
V- 40v
I- 10A

Inverter efficiency 90%

Grid power output req. 10MW.
Therefore panel output req. 10/.9= 11.1MW.

X-former to be used is .4/33kv
panel output voltage 400V

current 11.1M/400= 27775A

I would like to know how I would proceed and design a grid tied solar system from the above information. How I would arrange the panels in array to attain practical result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Employ someone who knows what they're doing, a 10MW plant isn't something to be designed by beginners I'm afraid.

But at that scale, inverter losses should be around 2-3%, you'll be wanting to run at around 800V DC, so 20-24 panels per string usually, though your panels have a higher than usual voltage.... but can't be operating voltage as 10A x 40V = 400W.

though your panels have a higher than usual voltage.... but can't be operating voltage as 10A x 40V = 400W.

Thanks for your reply Gavin, but I didn't understand your quoted line. would you please help me to do the design calculation.

Employ someone who knows what they're doing, a 10MW plant isn't something to be designed by beginners I'm afraid.

Actually I am not designing the whole thing by myself but in a group. But I would like to get clear of the whole system and at least the basic design and calculation by myself, so that I can be much more involved with the project. thats why looking for some help here.

Hello, I would like to know the approach and calculation how if I are to design 10MW of solar grid tie solar pv system.
Lets say that each panel have the specification as follows..
Power 250W
V- 40v
I- 10A

Inverter efficiency 90%

Grid power output req. 10MW.
Therefore panel output req. 10/.9= 11.1MW.

X-former to be used is .4/33kv
panel output voltage 400V

current 11.1M/400= 27775A

I would like to know how I would proceed and design a grid tied solar system from the above information. How I would arrange the panels in array to attain practical result.

I'm with Gavin on this. It isn't for beginners. In fact, I think many mainstream companies in the power electronics sector would steer clear of it.

I assume, and hope, that this is a theoretical question.
If grid tied, one might reasonably infer that the inverter would be line commutated.
At 10MW, it would need to be at least 24-pulse.
Do you understand that?

Reply to Calculation and design a solar grid tie system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back