Discuss Can you sign off your own work without being select/nic registered in Scotland? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if some of you guys could help? Being a approved spark I have been asked to do a job (loft conversion) for a mate where the job will be tested and results sent to the council for I think building control. The drawing he has had done off of an architec with the new bedroom and ensuite plans on it has a small note saying the electrical work should be completed by a select or nic registered company, I am not select or nic registered. Is the note just a recomendation or law? Can I sign the job off?

I have a mate who's been a limited company for 8 years and regularly signs his work off for the council as most of his work is domestic conversions, extension etc. He isn't select or nic registered but simply say's that he's a competent person and he puts a photocopy of his grade card in with the test sheets and has never had a problem to date. he tells me he has did hundreds of these like this.

Is this right and all I have to do? I don't want to say to my mate that I'll do it and then not be able to sign it off.

I'm in Scotland by the way.

Cheers in advance

Rob

depends what region your in as all the labc seem to have their own way of doing things.ive seen one in fife where the boy who did the extension left a copy of his qualifications (which were few!) and his grade card photocopied and that was it
if they want a certificate of construction you will have to b registered.or get a certifier to issue an ecr. you will probably find that certifiers will do their own work and nobody else's as a matter of principle.7 years on since the introduction of sbs certification and they all still can't or won't get it sorted out.
its basically meant to work as follows
customer gets bw approval on this he is asked if he is using any registered certifiers
they then get a small reduction on the bw fee and the labc note that certificate of construction will accompany the building warrant.
job is done certificate is done online and copy of appropriate bs 7671 certificates certificate of construction and checklist is sent to the customer who sends it to building control.
WTF is hard about that building control men?
never mind copies of grade cards n all that nonsense
rant over

In Edinburgh you can sign off work "By Enquiry" or in other words a copy of your SJIB grade card attached with a copy of the test meter calibration certificate why because they know you are not legally required to join a scheme and are hedging their bets that no one takes them to court for restricting an individuals right to free trade.

By the way I hear Midlothion insist on a Select/NICEIC but they are walking a thin line

Here is a reply from Select

Your e-mail has been passed to me for answer. Just to clarifythe situation for you. In May 2005 the Scottish Executive introduced theScottish Building Standards Certification Scheme which is for electricalinstallation work where a building warrant is required.

One thing to note, however, is that the scheme in Scotland is notcompulsory only preferable and local authorities have different options. If a client applies for a building warrant and states they are going to use acertifier of construction, they get a reduction on the cost of the warrant andthe certifier only has to download a certificate of construction from a specialwebsite (after they are fully registered on the scheme) and this goes off tobuilding standards to complete the job. The local authority just checkthe validity of the certificate and cannot ask for anything else). Their secondoption if use of a certifier has not been indicated, building standards willlook for a BS7671 test sheet supplied by a SELECT or NICEIC member and thisincludes PIR’s. However, their third option is “Reasonable Enquiry” andthis is what you are being quoted by Edinburgh Council.

Because the Certification Scheme is not compulsory they havespecific guidance to follow, however, not all councils follow this and in somecases even different building control officers interpret differently.

Edinburgh Council is the best local authority in Scotland foruse of the Certification Scheme, however, because the scheme is not compulsorythey generally follow the guidance provided by the Scottish Executive.

In the circumstances you state below if Edinburgh are okay with the submission of anelectrical certificate, grade card etc then this is up to them. You mightfind, however, that any subsequent submission may be rejected by a differentbuilding control officer who interprets the scheme slightly different. Wehave this problem all the time.

You will get more information from a couple of websites; www.sbsc.uk.net and www.scotland.gov.uk under BuildingStandards.

Part P in Englandwill never come into Scotlandas its different government legislation. The Certification Scheme isunder the Building Scotland Act 2003

Hope this helps but if you need any further information I would behappy to help

Last edited by a moderator:
out of intrest how did those of you who are is the Select registered, how did you find the assessment process ? any info would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to add I am not a scheme member because my buisiness model cannot sapport it I cannot justify the cost and at the same time I would have problems trying to find the right kind of job for them to assess.

For me it is down to economics plus we have enough regulations and laws to cover us as it is and the question is what are the scheme providors bringing to the party ie are they helping or hindering the trade my veiw and I am speaking as a Scottish sparky and from what I have picked up is Select is a bit better than NICEIC and I realise why we need 2 schemies up here because we cannot have a monopoly but inmy veiw NICEIC is becoming a law unto its self and that cannot be healthy for anyone

Thanks for the input. So I basically have to see what the (Glasgow city) council accepts?

Maybe i'll try and see if I can find info online or call them but I see alot of passing the buck ahead with no one giving a straight answer which is all council's seem to be good at.

out of intrest how did those of you who are is the Select registered, how did you find the assessment process ? any info would be appreciated

I found the Select assessment ok, assessor inspected my work-opening covers etc to check wiring, asked about regs and went over test certs, insurance, paperwork etc. He was very helpful and answered as well as asked questions.

Overall I would say the assessment is nothing to fear as long as you are confident , have a good grasp of the latest regs and have all relevent paperwork in place.

I'm self employed, working in Scotland, never had an issue with not being registered with one of the scam's. All i do is attach copy of grade card and calibration cert aswell.
I've heard Perth and Kinross ask for it but never done anywork as far up as that so dont know for sure. Glasgow's never been a problem though

Yep depends on the area building control officer some are plonkers and career civil servants, others who have came via the building trade are easier to deal with
Pict

Reply to Can you sign off your own work without being select/nic registered in Scotland? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net