Discuss Catering Trailer Electrics in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All, I've bought a 12ft Catering Trailer that is mainly fitted with LPG Equipment, but Electrics are required for 1x Undercounter Fridge, 1x Undercounter Freezer, Strip Lights, Water Pump & Appliance ignition. I may occasionally use a Microwave, but can do without if necessary.

I would like to switch from the generator to a Leisure Battery/Inverter set up.

Can anyone please advise on what would be required & the size of battery & inverter..??

I would like to switch from the generator to a Leisure Battery/Inverter set up.
but Electrics are required for 1x Undercounter Fridge, 1x Undercounter Freezer, Strip Lights, Water Pump & Appliance ignition. I may occasionally use a Microwave, but can do without if necessary.
So how much do you think a battery will hold with that stuff, and how are you going to charge the battery, you would need to run the vehicle a lot.

So how much do you think a battery will hold with that stuff, and how are you going to charge the battery, you would need to run the vehicle a lot.
I'm hoping to get the answers to whether my idea is feasible & economically viable.
I've no idea if a small fridge & freezer is a big power draw.

I would appreciate if someone could advise..

For a rough comparison my best mate lives on a narrowboat which has a 200Ah lithium battery and a 3kW Victron inverter, charging is by 2 solar panels on the roof and by the engine alternator.

This runs a 12V fridge, 12V water pump, 12V lighting, 230V twintub washing machine, gas cooker ignition, various USB charging etc, 230V LPG hot water boiler.

Currently with the meagre amount of sunlight we are getting they can go a few days between needing to run the engine, come summer they probably won't need to run the engine at all for charging.

For a rough comparison my best mate lives on a narrowboat which has a 200Ah lithium battery and a 3kW Victron inverter, charging is by 2 solar panels on the roof and by the engine alternator.

This runs a 12V fridge, 12V water pump, 12V lighting, 230V twintub washing machine, gas cooker ignition, various USB charging etc, 230V LPG hot water boiler.

Currently with the meagre amount of sunlight we are getting they can go a few days between needing to run the engine, come summer they probably won't need to run the engine at all for charging.
Thanks. So are they the specs of battery & inverter you suggest is needed for my set up?

Id expect a well designed system with some solar panels on the roof to last pretty well and rarely need charging from the engine.
Solar Panels unlikely & I would hope to charge via twin electrics on my van that tows the trailer. Perhaps even from household electricity when on my drive.
I should also add that I will only be using the trailer for 8hrs on 1 Day each week.

Reply to Catering Trailer Electrics in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net