Search the forum,

Discuss Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you've seen the injuries sustained by someone who has suffered first hand, I do not think you would be laughing. It is most certainly not made from rubber, and the voltage is insignificant, btw.

Lighten up! I can imagine this is needed for certain jobs but not domestic surly!!!

It depends on the circumstances. Last time it WAS a domestic supply. There's quite a bit of a bang before the 600A fuses at the local LV distribution pillar blow... Certainly enough for someone to become blinded and suffer 2nd degree burns to the face, chest and arm.

Certainly shows how naive some of you are...

Last edited:
It depends on the circumstances. Last time it WAS a domestic supply. There's quite a bit of a bang before the 600A fuses at the local LV distribution pillar blow... Certainly enough for someone to become blinded and suffer 2nd degree burns to the face, chest and arm.

Certainly shows how naive some of you are...

OK OK OK, as i said i have only just finished collage, so yes i am naive.

Its a calculated risk, and one I feel could justify if I needed to. I definately would not do it if installation was really old and looked brittle or damaged in any way. I have bought a very yellow, very thick pair of insulated gloves for the task and make sure its gets pulled as swiftly as I can. Admittedly I look a bit daft in the gloves but I'd wear two pairs if I could!!

Its a calculated risk, and one I feel could justify if I needed to. I definately would not do it if installation was really old and looked brittle or damaged in any way. I have bought a very yellow, very thick pair of insulated gloves for the task and make sure its gets pulled as swiftly as I can. Admittedly I look a bit daft in the gloves but I'd wear two pairs if I could!!

Exactly what i am going to do!!! Buy some good Insulated gloves that is!!!!

MM been reading this thread with intrest , its a subject we all come across and crops up on a regular basis , here my feelings , as one post says you can cut the main fuse but not the meter seals , fine but what if the tails are damaged or very under size or dangerouse, you ring them up and they say well be there on monday they then dont turn up ,i had a 2 hour journey to a site where they didnt turn up had to go back 2 days later so was 4 hours wasted journey and fuel to , i will cut seals and re seal i do take care and wear the appropriate PPE its not that i want to break the law i just get so frustrated that i contiuousley get let down , so if i need a seal cutting i phone them up say its dangerouse and get them out on an emergency , oh thats ok if you know who the electricity supplier is if you dont your stuffed just a point heres a pic what would you do GEDC4614.jpg

Walk away mate, walk away!

No in all seriousness in this situation I WOULD be calling in the service provider to diss-connect the supply and move the customer out whilst i do a full re-wire of the entire house! Judging on the state of this i recon the rest of the wiring in the house is going to be the same!

Ker Ching!!!!

Mmmm i wonder if the energy board issue these to their staff for removing the main fuse? Or maybe every sparky has a set under their bed!

They do, I have the full set in my van.
I have, hi viz, boots, flame retardant overalls, full face mask, gauntlets, gloves (to protect gauntlets), drummond test lamp and phase finder.

Domestic electricity supplies can Kill you as easy as Industrial or commercial, A guy I know,s brother was killed instantly just over a year ago from a 3A supply in the garden.
99% of the time pulling dno fuses will be ok, but the one time it may go wrong you risk serious injury with difficult questions to answer afterwards.
If you call the supplier before you start the work they will come and fit a 100A DP switch after the meter, Then you can switch the old fusebox on and off as much as you like :-D

Domestic electricity supplies can Kill you as easy as Industrial or commercial, A guy I know,s brother was killed instantly just over a year ago from a 3A supply in the garden.
99% of the time pulling dno fuses will be ok, but the one time it may go wrong you risk serious injury with difficult questions to answer afterwards.
If you call the supplier before you start the work they will come and fit a 100A DP switch after the meter, Then you can switch the old fusebox on and off as much as you like :-D

Correct me if im wrong but I thought it was the amps that kill? If so, how could he die from a 3 amp supply?

Why does an rcd operate at 30ma?

How many ma does it take to kill

???????????????????? One for you to ponder justjust1!

I was hoping you would look up why RCD operates at 30ma, its STAGGERING how little amperage is needed to kill.

10ma rcds are used in some nursery applications as 30ma could kill a small child.

I love this forum, thats something new and important you have learned today!!!!

IT IS AMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Changeing CCU and removing main head fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock