Discuss Consumer unit upgrade TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The first gauge you mention rings a bell. They were used on Canadian Calcamatic kilns. They were towards the centre of the panel which means they must have been part of the combustion control. What for I can’t remember. All the burner control was by Honeywell and GE. Selsyn were part of GE.

The second “thing” I haven’t a clue. I’ve worked on plenty of drum controllers, they used to fascinate me. Both the primary crusher and the washing section used them for auto start up.
Some PLC’s now have drum function blocks. I used them for the electric furnace you’ve seen pictures of. It replaced those crappy cam timers you made.
There’s something niggling me about this controller, was it used for speed control?

I haven't a clue what they were for.

We made them for Ashmore Benson & Pease (part of the Davy Ashmore Group) and they were branded ABP.

I Imagined the dial indicators to be mounted in a large panel fixed to a wall in some sort of control room to tell an operator what was happening somewhere else.

We made chart recorders as as well - paper on a roll like bog roll passing from one roll to another while an inky pen traced a wiggly line on it.

I seem to remember seeing - and engraving - the words "STOCK LEVEL INDICATOR" on something.

A lot of the stuff was engraved in Spanish but I didn't have to have a knowledge of the language to be able to engrave it onto an instrument dial !!

Those "crappy cam timers" used Honeywell micro switches except for one batch when Burgess persuaded our boss to give theirs a try. Now THEY were crap and we ended-up replacing them FOC with Honeywell.

It was a clear case of buy cheap, buy twice!

I haven't a clue what they were for.

We made chart recorders as as well - paper on a roll like bog roll passing from one roll to another while an inky pen traced a wiggly line on it.

I remember changing the paper on something similar.

IIRC it was recording the humidity.

Testing and repairing teleprinters at the time.

The older chart recorders were Honeywell 12” multi pen. The later ones were 4” three pen. Can’t remember the name of them.

They got to be a bit of a problem when we went for BS9001. Before if nothing had gone wrong they were just slung in the kiln, now we had to save them. One panel alone had 56 charts, storing them became a bit of a headache.

Because I want to know what the "bare minimum" is that will comply for me to be able to upgrade the consumer unit in the house and reconnect the submain. I don't want to tell them that the tenant needs to take a day off work & move all their furniture & all the flooring needs to come up etc. to put a new submain in from the front door to the outbuilding over the back yard IF IT ISN'T NECESSARY!

"What is the point in asking questions" whats the point in the tone of these replies-
"Something is certainly obvious, but i'll limit my comments to the job you are asking about"
"What do you mean by 'especially for a letting agent'? Are their lives worth less than other peoples and so it's ok to install substandard earthing ?"
"To be honest i just can't be arsed"
"He'll probably just bung a twig in and call it a day"
I think you're trying to help but equally you want to shoot me down at the same time haha

Please tell me what would be wrong with the following-
Keep existing 2.5mm submain from 20A 30mA RCBO in house.
Disconnect 1.0mm CPC of 2.5 t&e in outhouse.
Install rod & bonding in outhouse.

Be as condescending as you like if you answer the question

Argumentative lot aren't they.
How do you know any one of them actually know what they are talking about.
This is a forum, and it could be full of losers trying to beat there chests on here because they are laughed at and abused in the real world.
You know the type !! Bullied at school so become a traffic warden in later life.
Take the comments with a pinch of salt, ask no more, and find some real electricians out in the real world to ask on a face to face basis.
Trust me its the best way.
Sorry have to duck now !!
INCOMING !!!!

Reply to Consumer unit upgrade TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net