Discuss Cooker Circuit with Washer/Dryer On Circuit in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice if possible please!

Got one if then jobs that you get roped in to and that’s turned from a quick simple tasks to maybe a small can of worms.

The customer wanted her oven connecting as curry’s have installed the hob but not the oven.

Cooker circuit - 32a breaker to a 45a cooker switch (no integrated socket) in 6mm twin and earth.

In the cooker switch the 6mm comes in and I found two 2.5mm twin and earth connected into the supply 6mm terminals also….

Investigated and one is for the extract (no fused spur and one is for a socket supply a washer/dryer, again no fused spur.

I work commercially so needing advice on this.

Hob - 5.8kw

Oven - 2.4kw

Fan - 0.15kw

Washer/dryer - can’t find load spec unfortunately - would probably have this down as 2.5kw-3kw

1. Is the extra socket for the washer dryer even permitted? Against regs etc as it’s not a cooking appliance.
  2. Are we allowed to apply diversity to this circuit m if I were to connect the oven. If so, would it be a cooker circuit diversity or other?

Let’s say we can allow this and can apply diversity and would allow all loads. I was thinking down the route of 6mm radial to three fused spurs so the socket, oven and extract cables were protected accordingly and not from the 32A breaker at the DB.

Any help advice much appreciated as domestically I’m very rusty!

The socket for the washer dryer wouldn’t be the easiest to connect into the kitchen ring so that’s why I asking for any other good and practical solutions.

Thanks!

There is no definition of a “cooker circuit”. What you are looking at is a radial circuit with a number of items attached to it.
Sure you can have a socket on a circuit like this. Many “cooker” isolation switches also have a socket on them. The plates are not engraved “cooking appliances only”. You could plug in a kettle, or a dishwasher. Nobody’s going to report you to the circuit police.

Personally I would do my normal diversity/ max demand calcs for the radial and crack on.

There is no definition of a “cooker circuit”. What you are looking at is a radial circuit with a number of items attached to it.
Sure you can have a socket on a circuit like this. Many “cooker” isolation switches also have a socket on them. The plates are not engraved “cooking appliances only”. You could plug in a kettle, or a dishwasher. Nobody’s going to report you to the circuit police.

Personally I would do my normal diversity/ max demand calcs for the radial and crack on.
Thanks for the reply!

Just was doubting myself since it’s not something I something have to worry about.
Cookers are three phase where I work!

If I diversity for a cooker circuit i get 30 amps and for a radial I get 34amps.
Could in theory upgrade to a 40A breaker but a bit reluctant to!

If I diversity for a cooker circuit i get 30 amps and for a radial I get 34amps.
I’m not aware of any difference in diversity calcs based on circuit type. It’s done by appliance. Since a cooker circuit IS a radial anyways?
Could in theory upgrade to a 40A breaker but a bit reluctant to!
Subject to the usual cable installation type considerations. It’s an easy fallback should problems arise later.

Reply to Cooker Circuit with Washer/Dryer On Circuit in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net