Currently reading:
diesel leaking from car i bought

Discuss diesel leaking from car i bought in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
hey hi yo, just asking about if any of you gus have had a leak in you tank and how you repaired it. its a plastic tank and im getting reccomended chemical metal, any vies on this wise ones. thanks

well thats why i want it fixed , it aint leaking much but does leave a wee puddle if left static for few hours. have you ever heard chemical metal uses to fix plastic tank.?? this is a bikers question or do you have L plates lol

hey hi yo, just asking about if any of you gus have had a leak in you tank and how you repaired it. its a plastic tank and im getting reccomended chemical metal, any vies on this wise ones. thanks
Chemical metel is ok but your have to do it every couple of months.if it's plastic why not empty your tank out then repair it with fibreglass but make sure where the hole is put a bit of plastic over it then fibreglass then seal job done

cheers gooner but i was inclined fibre glass wouldnt hold with diesel or petrol. i will search on b4 i go buy something in next hour as i have a wee job to do and dont want to leak on her driveway...

well thats why i want it fixed , it aint leaking much but does leave a wee puddle if left static for few hours. have you ever heard chemical metal uses to fix plastic tank.?? this is a bikers question or do you have L plates lol

Tore up my L plates at the age of 17! I've never had to repair a plastic tank, how did it get holed? Not rust!

cheers gooner but i was inclined fibre glass wouldnt hold with diesel or petrol. i will search on b4 i go buy something in next hour as i have a wee job to do and dont want to leak on her driveway...
That's why you put a bit of plastic over the hole mate.you could even use that glue we use on plastic conduit because it melts the two plastics together then fibreglass it

just two wee slices which i think might of been, i actualy havent a clue... can just about change a wheel and add water, but im getting reccomended chemical metal.

just two wee slices which i think might of been, i actualy havent a clue... can just about change a wheel and add water, but im getting reccomended chemical metal.
Trust me chemical metel won't solve it for a start it's only for metel hense the name.and it will have to be done ever couple of months that if it will stick to plastic iv used chemical metel but only on oil leaks but the pan was metel.

Chemical metal (Belzona) will not cope with the flexing of a plastic tank.

Belzona is great (we repaired a crusher with it) but not for this job.

the correct stuff is called petro patch. available from most good car accessory shops. might be a different one for diesel. if the leak is near the top of the tank, then don't fill it so full. if its round a fuel pipe, you'll probably have to take the tank off.

Having mucked about with Crap cars for many a year(Not suggesting yours is)
Just change the tank, Trust me whatever fix you use it ll start leaking again at some point(The law of Sod)
With the price of fuel these days you only need to lose a tank of juice and a tank change would of saved you cash...

Nobody suggested to have it Plastic Welded???

Not convinced that I personally would take on a diesel take but I've repaired Plastic bumpers and interior car parts before now :D Soldering Iron + Surplus plastic + plenty of heat and care = Hey presto, good as new :D:D:D

:thumbsup

Reply to diesel leaking from car i bought in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock